Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deployed new CPAP user needs help
Deployed new CPAP user needs help
Hello all!

I've been browsing this forum the last few days trying to get a handle on this but I can't. I got diagnosed with sleep apnea in December, but didn't receive my machine until the 15th of February, a day before I deployed. 

So my condition, sleeping in a tent with climate control but unknown humidity. Using a dreamstation Pro (the 500 series) with a heated tube and a nasal mask. Some FP BREVADA thing. Only water access I have is bottled .I clean it with soap every day because of this . I've been monitoring with dreammapper software .

My AHI has consistently been 8.7-9. I only used it once before deploying and I ripped the mask off after a few hours. Since then it's given me nothing but problems .

My pressure rating is 8, I use a slight ramp of 6 for 15 minutes. I tried turning flex to 1 and thought it was better but my apnea's and ahi increased .I've played with humidity heat and tube heat going from 1-5 on different nights. I never notice a different though, my nose runs and the mask feels wet. 

I don't know what to do. At this point I'm not going to wear it tonight because it's so uncomfortable and my apnea's and hypopneas are still occuring. I have 6 Central apnea's a night consistently 10-20 apnea's and about 45 hypopneas. Sleep length has been anywhere from 4 hours (jet lag) to 9 . 

I've ordered a different mask cause this one just feels so uncomfortable now, my nose is raw. I have a beard and idk if that's contributing in any way, it didn't during the study .

Please help! I need some advice .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deployed new CPAP user needs help
Without viewing your data, we're aiming in the dark.

My first suggestion would be to try the Auto-trial option on that machine. This will basically self-titrate you and let you know what pressure you need. If you do not have the clinician manual, get it.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

If you cannot do that because of where you are, my next suggestion would be to raise the pressure. You can try 9 for at least a week and if they don't go down, try 10. Note the data for each day in a log so you can keep track of how it is going.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like it is is fixed pressure? please get the clinical manual above and I'd also download the free program sleepyhead, to see all your data.
For tonight, you could have auto mode, min 8 max 20 and see what the report on the pressure is, on the machine screen tomorrow morning. Then set 2 under that as your minimum, till you get to auto trial/titrate
https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

ps, with bottled water, I'd rinse the tub and wash once a week, you don't need to wash every day. (I'm not saying I do, I haven't washed my tub for many weeks now. I just give it a rinse.)
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above. You might also want to review the mask primer on the link below. Just wondering where your deployed?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies! It is fixed pressure. I'll go ahead and set it to Auto trial tonight at 8-20. I'm going to elevate it too as it's sitting close to the ground which is considerably colder than the rest of the tent. Hopefully that'll help with the auto humidifier and wet nose .

I've downloaded sleepyhead so I can publish results to the board. 

The FP brevida is a little too intrusive i think on the nose, too deep, or the wrong size hah. I might try removing the diffuser tonight. I contacted my provider to try a nasal mask or other pillows, but it'll be at least a month before it gets here. 

I can't say where I'm currently deployed .
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't even need auto "trial". Your DSX500 is an auto CPAP machine. It frankly sounds like you were set on a fixed pressure that was completely wrong for you. My recommendation woutld be a minimum pressure of 8.0 and see where the machine wants to go for maximum pressure by setting maximum to 20. #Sleepyhead will be a great help to you (and us) to help optimize the therapy. Do not remove a mask diffuser, or you will end up with a large leak and uncontrolled pressure. I encourage you to request a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask. They are inexpensive and the least obtrusive and quietest mask on the market.

Best of luck, and thanks for your service to our country.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Never ask a deployed service member where they are deployed.  
In WW2 our Submarines were virtually impervious to Japanese depth charges.  
The a Senator announced that this was the case in a news conference, and it was because the Japanese did not depth charge deep enough.
We lost many submarines after that incident.

Toasty,  stay safe (as possible) and much thanks for your service.  If we ever meet up we will share a beer or 3,4 10   . . .    you get the idea.

Fred
(MM1(SS))
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I asked. I just assumed he wasn't military due to the beard. I would assume he's not special forces deployed with a CPAP. Also he wouldn't be posting on a public web site.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Toasty,
Welcome to Apnea Board and thank you for your service!

For clarity, would you check the model number of your machine and correct your profile if needed.

The DreamStation DSX500 is an Auto Cpap.
The DreamStation Pro DSX400 is a straight pressure machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 08:09 AM)Toasty Wrote: ...The FP brevida is a little too intrusive i think on the nose, too deep, or the wrong size hah. I might try removing the diffuser tonight. I contacted my provider to try a nasal mask or other pillows, but it'll be at least a month before it gets here.

Is it possible that you've made the headgear too tight, causing the cushions to be further into your nose than they should be? Here is a video that shows fitting: https://youtu.be/yy2Oiop4MNg?t=1m4s

Also, once you put your mask on and start the machine, pull the mask away from your face and allow the air to fill the cushion. This 'should' help get those prongs positioned more comfortably.

For your sore nose:

- saline gel helps (one brand name: Ayr Saline Nasal Gel)
- lanolin helps, but may be harder to find (one brand name: Lansinoh, for breastfeeding mothers, but any lanolin would work)

It is hard to tell if the soreness you are describing might possibly be caused by a lack of humidity. Do you have a humidifier chamber?

Saline nasal spray may help 'pamper' your nose a bit during this transitional period, or if you do not have access to more humidity.

Just don't use anything that degrades silicon. Not sure what that would be -- petroleum jelly is probably not an option.

Something to relieve gas (like simethicon) would probably be smart to have on hand too, in case you get aerophagia. (one brand name: Gas-X)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,636 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 203 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,808 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,262 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,137 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,716 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 382 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.