Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deployed new CPAP user needs help
RE: Deployed new CPAP user needs help
(02-22-2018, 11:49 AM)kiwii Wrote: Is it possible that you've made the headgear too tight, causing the cushions to be further into your nose than they should be? Here is a video that shows fitting: https://youtu.be/yy2Oiop4MNg?t=1m4s

Also, once you put your mask on and start the machine, pull the mask away from your face and allow the air to fill the cushion. This 'should' help get those prongs positioned more comfortably.

I was just about to ask this, kiwii is right, a lot of people (including myself) tighten the mask far to tight when they first get one to try to stop leaks.
So follow the advice and unless you are a mouth breather, order yourself a Nasal Pillow mask and a good chin strap.
This should start to make a difference, once you post your data from sleepyhead, you can take control of your own treatment with a little help and advice.

Oh, Welcome to the Apneaboard.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I am new to treatment myself (just over 4 weeks), and have had a difficult time finding a mask that works. Still not sleeping.

Just tried the Brevida, so I understand your difficulty. I've also had issues with some of the masks seeming to intrude into the nose too much. As the others have said, the Lansinoh really does help. I was a bit skeptical, but after trying one night, I was convinced of its usefulness. Since you probably can't run out to your local Wal-Mart or Target, it is available from Amazon. I would offer to send you some but I guess that is not an option.

I know a lot of people LOVE the P10 nasal pillow mask, my husband among them (he swears it's the best mask EVER!). I, however, found it really hurt the inside of my nose! The one that has had the least issues for me (I know, faint praise!), is the Nuance Pro. It has really, really soft (really soft!), non-intrusive, GEL nasal cushions. The issue for me, probably won't be for you  Too-funny is that the back strap slips up on my hair. They tell me my hair is too silky Rolleyes

Oh, and one more thing, I found that a couple of things that helped with rainout are a hose cover for the short, unheated hose (just be sure not to cover the vent!), and having the hose go UP from the machine, then down to my head.

Good luck, and as others have said, thank you very much for your service!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Toasty,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy and with getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
You have come to the right place for guidance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to say thanks for your service.

Lots of good suggestions. Look forward to seeing some charts to give more focused advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2018, 11:49 AM)kiwii Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 08:09 AM)Toasty Wrote: ...The FP brevida is a little too intrusive i think on the nose, too deep, or the wrong size hah. I might try removing the diffuser tonight. I contacted my provider to try a nasal mask or other pillows, but it'll be at least a month before it gets here.

Is it possible that you've made the headgear too tight, causing the cushions to be further into your nose than they should be? Here is a video that shows fitting: https://youtu.be/yy2Oiop4MNg?t=1m4s

This is a good suggestion - it's counter-intuitive that keeping the straps looser actually helps it seal better, and is usually more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all, thanks for your replies!! It is my pleasure to serve.

Yes, my model is the DSX500 auto CPAP. I loosened the straps and trial by fire discovered letting it fill, putting it on then pulling slightly away gets a good seal. I'm still playing with the settings on the heated humidifier and tube but I raised the heated tube to 4 and left the humidifier at 2 and it seems more comfortable for now.

Walla walla, no worries man. Sleep apnea is a lot more common than you'd think in my line of work and doesn't restrict anybody from deploying. Some nights it can be used, other nights, not so much. 

I've got a few results from sleepy head, the first with a fixed pressure of 8 (showing all the hypopneas) and the second with 7.5 showing more central and regular apneas. When I got diagnosed the sleep lab said I had more hypopneas than anything and too high of a pressure would increase my central and obstructive apneas.  I think this is the data needed, I'm trying to go off of some other posts on what to read. 

Thank you all so very much for you help and input!

Toast

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your apnea appears to have some elements of complex apnea with the hypopnea and centrals. I would keep the Flex setting at 1 and consider increasing pressure in 0.5 cm increments to limit the hypopnea, OA and snores. Either fixed or auto mode seems to work equally well, and I suspect the difference in AHI in Auto mode is the slightly higher median pressure. Keeping Flex at a lower setting should prevent many of the central and may help with some hypopnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would order more filters, depending on where your at, if a sand environment, filters will need changing more frequently
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask is definitely the wrong size, I have to pinch it to get her to get solid airflow. Woke up with a headache.

I tried turning the flex to 1 and couldn't breath normally or relax. My AHI last night was 9.1 on fixed. I haven't downloaded to sleepyhead yet but I think the mask fit is a large contributing factor.

The mask was getting super wet last night when I got it to fit right. I turned the heat up and down on both the humidifier and tube and it still was wet. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
A wet Tube would be corrected by a combination of increasing the tube temp (to decrease % humidity below 100% in the tube) and decreasing the humidification level (to decrease the amount of humidity you are pushing up the tube).  How much and which one is a matter of trial and error, the target here is your comfort.

If you haven't tried Auto control on the Climate control and humidity, try that.  It works for me near Detroit, Mi, but then I'm definitely not in your environment.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,443 11 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 158 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,750 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,237 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,113 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,694 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 362 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.