Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Desaturating
Ohmy 
Desaturating
Okay first night was great but second night was horrid. I woke up unable to breathe and my saturation was 82%. My oxygen was hooked up, I had no leaks in my mask so I don't know why I am still desaturating! I woke up with a severe headache, can't stay awake and have chest pains too. I am not sure if this is just what happens while you are adjusting to the machine and it will get better over time or if this means I am having problems that need to be addressed to the doctor asap.

Any suggestion? Anyone else have problems with their saturations and did it improve immediately or take time to adjust to the machine? I was on oxygen prior to cpap therapy and at night I would still desaturate a little but not to 82%. I know this isn't low, low, I used to go in my 60s and 70s prior to oxygen therapy but it's still low enough to cause headache and chest pains.

Thanks in advance,
Racquel
Photography: Macro | Super Macro | Misc photos | Facebook photos (mostly studio work here)

Since I have been sick and can't do much photography anymore Sad my creative outlet is now crochet (hats, cowls, stuffed animals). I will have my stuff posted here soon!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Desaturating
Chest pains ... ring a bell ... Please see your doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 04:09 PM)zonk Wrote: Chest pains ... ring a bell ... Please see your doctor

I have those a lot because I have tachy-brady syndrome. The doctor switched me to the autoset because I was having problems with the pressures which was causing me to have chest pains and desaturating headaches. Usually my chest pains come with exertion.

My sleep doctor said my chest pains may worsen while I am adjusting to the therapy but he didn't say if my oxygen should be dropping still or not. I know why I was desaturating on the respironics but I didn't think I would be on the resmed autoset. That's why I was wondering if it was my body trying to get used to the machine.

I guess I will call him tomorrow and if the chest pains get worse I will go to the ER. I am so exhausted today, I am constantly falling asleep!! That's what I get for bragging about my new unit and feeling so great after the first night....me and my big mouth! Coffee

Photography: Macro | Super Macro | Misc photos | Facebook photos (mostly studio work here)

Since I have been sick and can't do much photography anymore Sad my creative outlet is now crochet (hats, cowls, stuffed animals). I will have my stuff posted here soon!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess my question is should I still be desaturating at night? Would it matter where my oxygen is placed? The resp therapist gave me the adapter and told me to put it on the back of my machine. I tried putting it closer to my mask but the adapter is huge and it made it harder to sleep. It seems the oxygen should be closer to my mask/nose instead of at the far end of the tubing but maybe that doesn't make any difference, I don't know.

Also if you still desaturate at night until your body gets used to the machine at what point should you be concerned, ie what number should you say hey I really need to report this to the doctor. I hate being a pain in the butt. I know he has other patients so I try to only call when it's really necessary Unsure

Thanks so much!

Post Reply Post Reply
FYI? I run fairly low all the time (lung scaring due to PEs), I've been told that desating into the low 90s high 80s is both normal and OK.

I (and my PCP) is happy if my O2 stays above 88 for at least 95% of my sleep period. I sometimes drop into the low 70s, but it's for like 30-90 seconds at a time. I will say that possible leaks might surprise you. Try turning on the high leak alarm and see what happens. And of course, simply a new change can cause fits for a week or 2 as well.

When in doubt, talk to your Doc just to be sure- me,myself after 3yrs on blood thinners, I almost bled out (8.2) and no one saw it coming (even the ER visit a week earlier didn't catch it). So please remember surprises can happen to all of us.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter, I just wanted to update you. I don't pick up my pulse oxy until Friday. This way I can keep it for 3 days and see if this is happening every night (or at least the 3 nights I have it) or once in a while. I tried to see if I could pay out of pocket to rent the unit longer but my DME provider only have two that they loan out to clients so that was a big no. I am going to purchase one of the units that works with Sleepy head so I can monitor it full time. My husband heard me making weird noises two nights ago and put my pulse oxy on and it registered 50. He woke me up right away, well I should say scared me the frig-awake! I said to him he was going to give me a heart attack doing stuff like that but I guess I would have panicked and done the same thing Sad

I will post an update once I get the unit and get the first night recordings.

I do have another question. When I first got my until my AHIs were around 2. Now they are anywhere from 6-15 per night. I did activate the EPR but that's set to 1 and my AHI had already started to rise before I made that change. I switched the EPR on because I was desatutating to see if that helped. I have to wonder if any of this has to do with my machine itself. The sleep lab that messed up my 1st study by leaving my oxygen on, when they did the titration study said I failed the cpap but responded well with bipap. The second lab who repeated the study made no such mention. Could this be what is causing all these problems for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Boy, the only thing I can suggest/think of, is the fact that our numbers day-to-day don't mean a lot, it's all about the averages. Normally, if I can get my AHI below 10, I am thrilled! Recently, I've been having my AHI below 5 a few times, but then had a 12 the other night?? So I think you need some better info than I can provide.

Personally, my untreated numbers are *so* bad, that anything on my dream machine is miles away better than being untreated. The point of the PAP, is to improve your sleep quality, and keep your O2 numbers at a decent level - if you can get all that and your AHI is +10 I would say, who cares?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Desaturating. Fixed pressure CPAP. Strategies? StuartC 12 1,744 11-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Last Post: StuartC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.