Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Desert and CPAP
Desert and CPAP
So I'm wondering if living in the desert (Phoenix) has any impact on what settings you use.

I really dislike falling asleep to warm humid air...are there machines  that ramp the humidity? Depending on the time of year and how much cooling is being used, the indoor humidity can be as high as 50% or as low as 15%.

Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Desert and CPAP
Humidity is a comfort feature you can configure it how you like.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best thing I've heard to do is to use a room humidifier. That way you could turn your machine humidifier way down or even off and get cool air with humidity.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You could try putting water in the tank but not turn the humidifier on. If the air is that dry, it will evaporate on its own.

There's not a way to ramp up the humidifier like you can the pressure. Would be nice if we could, though!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Paula's suggestion in the summer, even in Oregon. Water in tank, no heat in humidifier or tube. I don't [ay as much attention to the humidity--in Oregon it isn't ever dry like Arizona. I add humidity and up the tempof my heated tube if my nose gets cold, drop it if too warm. We keep our bedroom window open even in cold weather.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can turn climate control and tube temperature both to Auto and the machine will only provide the humidity and temperature necessary to prevent rainout given your room's temperature and relative humidity. You might find that that will provide the "ramp" type adjusting you are looking for.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Problem with Auto is it keeps the tube temperature at 80F. If you want a cooler temperature you need to use manual with a low temperature setting or just turn it off. Of course if you do that and you still need humidity a room humidifier is the way to go.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a heated tube...counter productive for Arizona I think....just the humidifier.

But thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can set either/both the humidity or/and the heat to Auto, which will allow it to adjust as needed. That's what I prefer (I live in an arid place.)

I also agree with the other suggestion of having a humidifier in your bedroom, so your xPAP machine doesn't have to make all the humidity. That helps me not run out of water in my humidifier as quickly (gives me some extra sleeping time in the morning).
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in the high alpine dessert and also did not think the idea of warm humid air was something I would like.  I wanted maximum but cooler humidity because the thought of it being on the warm side is something I would not like.  I eventually got to liking the warm humid, but have dialed down both the humidity and temperature level to where it is best for me.

I played around with the settings and I'll telll ya, on some REALLY COLD nights it was nice to have it warm.  I like to sleep, except on the coldest of days, with my window slightly open for fresh air, but this would impact the condensation so bought a heated hose.

As others have stated, perhaps water in the tank without heat might suit your needs.  I tried that but it was still too dry.  
I ended up re-starting at low humidity levels and temperature and then gradually stepped up on subsequent days until I got too much condesation.  I would then back down and then alternate either temp or humidity up/ down and verse-visa on the other setting until I found my comfort level.

My sinuses have never been better after living up here for some 20 years.  I joke that even if I did not have apnea I would still use a machine (with nasal pillows) just for the fact that I am getting humidity right where I need it...LOL.

Even though conventional wisdom might cause one to think that a heated hose is counter productive to your region, it might allow a higher humidity setting without the condensation when set at a moderate temperature.

I still run a house humidifier but am able to turn it way down compared to pre-CPAP.  I used to need to turn it up so high for any level of comfort, but the condensation inside my windows was a real problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.