Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Despair [mask fitting]
RE: Despair
I've noticed that sleep labs and DMEs tend to give newbies the DreamWear. They did for me, too. I welcomed that, because I felt claustrophobia over wearing a mask, and I don't like things up my nose. So the DreamWear worked great for me *as I became accustomed to sleeping with a CPAP*.

But once I got used to sleeping with positive air pressure, then I start to get annoyed by All The Other Things, one of them being my DreamWear mask. Too noisy, wasn't staying sealed anymore, I suspected it might be the wrong size (either frame, headgear, cushion, or all or any of those things). So then I started experimenting with masks.

And ultimately, that's where the key to success is in CPAP therapy: the mask.

So I'd encourage you to try various ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I am waiting for a ResMed f20 which might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! Did you choose the memory foam or silicone?

Silicone doesn't stay sealed on my contours throughout the night, but the memory foam does.
Post Reply Post Reply
For a lot of people mask fit is generally one of the toughest parts to CPAP, but ironically wasn't an issue for me. When I started in 2001 with a Mirage FFM, there wasn't too much of a choice. It was here, use this mask and that was it. So my perspective may be different.

I did a titration with a DreamWear (told it was the most popular) and the DME was pushing the F30; basically for the same reason. I ended up with an F20 as I was already using a Quattro FX and it seemed like an upgrade. The other reason is that I didn't like the air going up my nose with the hybrids.

For many years my FFM fitting was basically pushing the mask toward my face with an index finger until it sealed up and set it there. Then try to get it to leak by moving my face or pushing the mask. I also found the DreamWear/F30 was this pull up by the top straps and back with the lower straps. People love them, but I wasn't buying the pull up to seal the nose and back to seal the mouth would get me there when my ASV pressure went to 19.

15+ years ago, I decided to use elastic straps from a sewing store so I didn't have to spend $30 to buy a headgear. I'm not suggesting to try that, but for me it was an effective way to keep the mask in place. My F20 headgear is the first manufacturer headgear I've used since my original mask.

I've never been in the "floating" camp. Although many people adhere to it, I just never found it to work. For me, the mask will "float" out of place in the middle of the night. That said, I think it is tougher to do this with a hybrid since the air doesn't seem fill the mask; it may be more like pillows and a mouth section tacked on.

The one thing I will say it that there is some merit in trying to figure out why it is leaking and doing what you can to make it to work. Short of stapling it to your head, it really comes down to whether you can get the mask not to leak.

Good luck!

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this normal: Newly diagnosed, no mask fitting? amyK 2 435 06-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Mask leak from hose fitting? kaper 4 4,505 04-18-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Question about fitting Amara View struts 2 580 07-27-2021, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Boxermum
  Upcoming Full face mask fitting at DME provider, facial shape considerations Rgn3 13 1,431 06-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.