Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Desperate and Confused
Angry 
Desperate and Confused
I'm new at this, and don't know what to do. I would appreciate some ideas on what I can try to get my AHI down. The consensus on the board seems to be a goal of 5 or less, but nothing seems to help mine.

Leaks are not a problem. Does anybody think my pressure range (see left) is too wide? I've got the Min/Max Pressure Support Setting on 3 and 8, respectively, so the wide range between Min EPAP and Max IPAP shouldn't matter, right?

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I feel pretty stupid right now.

Desperately seeking ideas...........
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Desperate and Confused
First of all, don't feel stupid. We all start off knowing little about CPAP. I am not familiar with your machine but there will be people on this forum that can help you with more specific advice.

You are using Sleepyhead software. You might post some of your results, like AHI and actual pressures, min/max/avg. The machine should adjust pressure to fit your breathing needs, so the min/max are just there as outer limits. My actual pressure never get any where near the min. or max.

So, be patient, the "stupid" feeling passes rather quickly. You will find excellent resources here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board and Cpap, hang in there, it gets better and everyone here is super helpful. You will find answers, this board is a God send, you will learn a lot. I will leave this, however to the pros, they have a ton of knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have a sleep study? What pressure did they find optimal?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I actually do think your range is too wide. In theory and often in practice it doesn't matter. But there are occasions that it can be an issue. To recommend any narrowing it though, we would need to see what your experience actually is. So come back with your actual pressures, 90% and so forth. Also, if you're using a ramp feature, consider not doing that, or shortening it considerably. Often at default it stays on "ramp" for too long and you fall asleep and your machine doesn't start working on the apneas for another 10 minutes or so. Doesn't sound like much, but it could have an impact. What are your leak numbers? I know you don't feel they're an issue but often they can be without you knowing it. For instance a nasty little short term leak might encourage your machine to blast up to 20, then the leak goes away and the machine decides to drop to the basement. Or even start the ramp again........

So download and install the Sleepyhead stuff and come back with as much detail as you can.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the site! You'll get this figured out!!! I will stake Mongo's reputation on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kgriggs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Please, don't feel stupid, there is a learning curve but you'll get there, it just take time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

What is your AHI?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 11:16 PM)archangle Wrote: Welcome.

What is your AHI?

This is my first thread and I already like your humor Archangle (for thos of you unaware, click on the link re: alternative to CPAP)

Can I post my data file up here for experts to review? How?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the BB Program wants you to have x number of posts before it lets you upload an attachement. It's how we stay safe from the V***** salesmen.

In the meantime however, just some numbers will help:

AHI, number of events OA, CA, Hypop.... that sort of thing.

Your min/max and average pressures.

Your leak numbers.

A complete DNA analysis........ Oh, maybe forget that one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's representative numbers.
Comments?

Pressure 8-18
Avg IPAP 14.22
Avg EPAP 14.13
Avg Leak Rate 4.05
90% Leak Rate 20.00
% Time ^ Leak Rate Threshold 0.23%

Obstructive 10.40
Hypopnea 4.99
Clear Airway 2.91
Total AHI 18.30

Flow Limitation Index 0.42
Effort Related Arousal Index 0.21
Periodic Breathing % 3.44%
Resp Rate 15.4
Tidal Volume 360
Minute Vent 5.75
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,089 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 718 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 724 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 497 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.