Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Desperate for Humidity level help please
Desperate for Humidity level help please
Hi. I've been asking this question for over a year now and no one knows the answer. 
I have an Airsense 10 APAP machine. I use the Bleep Dreamport mask.

I live in the desert where it's dry all year round. I have a standing humidifier in the bedroom. Last night was the 1st night using it as it's been off. 
It's set between 42-45%. 

I woke up with a headache and a stuffy nose which never happens when the bedroom humidifier is off. 
This happened last year at the same time. Since the provider and cpap supplier had no clue what to set the humidity level on the cpap machine, I ended up not using the humidifier last year during winter months.  I couldn't reach anyone at Resmed. 

Questions: 
What level should the humidity be set to on the CPAP machine so I don't wake up with this headache and stuffy nose?  
Currently, the cpap machine is set at Climate control Manual, Tube Temp 70 degrees, humidity level is 2.

If the bedroom has humidity, does that mean the cpap machine humidity level has to be increased or turned off?  How does humidity in the bedroom affect the apap machine?   Do I need to change the tube temp? If yes, to what?

suggestions, thoughts, anything? I'm desperate to know the answer. Our skin cracks badly without a humidifier and I still have the headache. 
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Desperate for Humidity level help please
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

You'll have 2 modes to select, Auto and Manual. Each allows 1-8, higher the number higher the humidity. You're free to try either mode, however I always got better results with manual. Start between 4-6, see if that's working well. If not dial up or down one step. Repeat the next use, or edit after a few minutes. It shouldn't take long to find your humidity number.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few thoughts. A stuffy nose often results from one of two things: the inside of your nose becoming dried out or a reaction to contaminants. Starting with the second, CPAP manufacturers generally recommend using distilled water, emptying the tank each morning, and regularly cleaning the water tank, hose, and mask, and replacing the air filter. That eliminates mineral dust in the air and avoids the growth of mildew or algae. Those things can irritate your nose, especially if you have allergies or sensitivity.

Even if you're accustomed to a desert climate, a CPAP tends to dry out the tissues in your nose more than normal breathing. So supplementing humidity will reduce the problem. The amount of humidity in the CPAP air that feels comfortable and protects your nose is something you will need to determine for yourself. Your nose and lungs can be comfortable with much higher humidity than your skin. But there are a few considerations for how to get it there.

The CPAP machine is designed to use normal household air as the source. If you feed it extremely humid air, you risk mildew growing inside the machine. A room humidifier is fine, but avoid locating it right next to the CPAP machine. The room humidifier will raise the room humidity to a level comfortable for your body, but you will likely still benefit from additional humidity in the CPAP output.

People often find the most nose comfort and protection at very high humidity, but there are several things to be aware of. At high humidity, you need to keep the tank, hose, and mask clean to avoid mildew or algae growth, and you will probably need a heated hose to avoid condensation and water up your nose. The CPAP humidifier increases the humidity by raising the temperature of the tank water so it evaporates more easily (it doesn't actually get hot, just varying levels of warm). At high humidity levels, there is also a high dew point (the temperature at which the humidity condenses out of the air and becomes water again). This can happen at room temperature, resulting in water condensing in the hose and being blown into your nose. A heated hose keeps the air in the hose above the dew point.

So you may need to play with the hose temperature as well as the humidity level. Don't be afraid to set the CPAP humidity level high--that will give your nose the most protection. Check the hose in the morning for any signs of water droplets. If you see any (or if you experienced water up your nose), increase the hose temperature setting a little.

Because there are so many variables (you, your environment, etc.), people won't be able to recommend specific settings. It will require a little experimenting.

BTW, many people benefit from using a saline nasal spray. You can buy pre-made spray or make it yourself (good instructions at https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Saline-Nasal-Spray).
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, luigi28me,

Here is an excerpt from the A10 Clinicians manual:

Climate Control Manual
Control Manual lets the patient adjust the temperature and humidity to the setting which is most comfortable for them.

Automatic adjustment
The humidifier and ClimateLineAir heated air tubing are controlled by the Climate Control algorithm to deliver constant humidity and temperature outputs. The system adjusts automatically to changes in:
 ambient room temperature and humidity values
 flow due to pressure changes
 flow due to mask or mouth leak.

No one can really give you a particular setting, as it all depends on the humidity level in your room and what is comfortable for you.

I use the manual setting.  You may want to try the Auto setting since you're also using a stand alone humidifier in your room.

For more detail, order the Clinicians Manual HERE.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"You may want to try the Auto setting since you're also using a stand alone humidifier in your room"

I woke up to a dry tank the other morning Tongue (change of seasons I think was the cause).

Threw a humidifier in the room. Think I'll go back to AUTO.

Thanks Opal, I had same questions as OP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 90 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 379 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 154 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 168 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 167 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,254 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 650 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.