Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Determining apneas that would have occurred without therapy
Determining apneas that would have occurred without therapy
Hello everyone, 

I am a relatively new member here and this is my first post. I started APAP therapy in May which was not successful. I was subsequently diagnosed with Complex Sleep Apnea and was switched to ASV about a month ago. ASV has been very successful and it is not uncommon for me to have an AHI of zero. 
I recently began using OSCAR but am finding interpretation of its data to be challenging. I would like to know if any of the data from OSCAR can indicate apneas, whether obstructive or central, that would have occurred without ASV. I would also be very keen to upload some OSCAR data in this forum for any observations or guidance from those more knowledgeable. I'm especially interested in any changes in settings that might result in improved quality of sleep. If sharing data here is permitted I'd welcome guidance on what data would be most useful and how best to upload it.

Thank you, 

Alan 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Determining apneas that would have occurred without therapy
Welcome to the Apnea funny farm.

I had the same model ASV, just sold it recently as my unique combo of Respiratory disease and Complex Apnea were overwhelming the ASV. I need manual time controls for therapy with a machine that has backup rate.

Onward to your questions. Using OSCAR you can Attach a screenshot of the Daily Details from a nights usage. Myself I get by with some standard shots of these 4 in order, Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks. I suggest skipping over Flow Limits for the ASV, there's most always a bit of FL when paired with the ASV, so pass over that for now. Others may ask for various views, but this should be a good start point.

So now, fill us in on a few things. Your DETAILED diagnosic and titration tests, did you get your copy yet? This is necessary to help give basis to treatment. HIPAA law permits you to request and receive these. And no you're not allowed to get the results isn't acceptable. Ask for the detailed versions and say HIPAA says you can get it. It just helps some nosy forum guy like me know how bad off you are. Apparently bad enough for ASV.

Then tell us your ASV settings presently, past too if you can. How is therapy going?

Mode is x
EPAP is x or x-x
PS is x-x
Using Ramp?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the first question- no you can’t find out what apnea was stopped with therapy. It is like asking if you could know if you would have had a heart attack when taking medicine to prevent it.

Please do post Oscar charts. The charts and help with Oscar is linked in my signature at the bottom of the post. Those are the charts we need to see.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for you guidance. Please see the attached files for OSCAR data from 9.23.21. I will attach two more screenshots from 9.24 on a separate reply. Thanks again!

Alan

Here is the OSCAR data from 9.24. Thanks again!

Alan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response, Dave. Please see my replies to Stacey Burke's post for the OSCAR data. As for your inquiry about my sleep studies, I have a copy of the full report from the sleep lab study. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? I didn't bother to get the report from the initial home study but was told that it indicated an AHI of 33.

Cheers,

Alan
Post Reply Post Reply
Myself, specifically the info I'm most interested in would be Events and count. I am certain there's definitive info for the doctor to prescribe ASV. Overall as is, it may help me get a sense of where you were then and now. If you post anything, redact your personal info. It's not needed.

The charts show your therapy is pretty much excellent. I don't see anything required to change for the results. But let's shift to your comfort. How do you feel, during and after therapy? Are there areas you want to improve on how it feels?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quantify therapy disruptions? YouTakeMyBreathAway 2 477 04-25-2023, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oscar Date of Therapy Highlighting Jmosk 7 622 10-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  DreamMapper Secondary Therapy Device SleepFine 0 2,348 06-16-2020, 01:09 PM
Last Post: SleepFine
  Where do Apneas show in the chart? Boroma 3 903 09-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Last Post: mtwomey
  Sleepyhead not displaying serious apneas edmp 10 2,233 11-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  central apneas deleted from sleepyhead data Inspired 10 2,440 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Last Post: AlanE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.