Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Determining if mask fits
Determining if mask fits
Hello all,
I have just started PAP treatments, received my machine a little over a week ago. This forum has been super helpful for reviewing the machines before I saw my DME and for making sure I have all the information from my Sleep Doctor. Thank You.

My question relates to mask leakage and how do you know if the mask is the best fit for you. I am using the Swift FX for Women, and I have tried both the small and medium pillows with Lanolin. It is overall fairly comfortable to wear, but I am having trouble with it as the night goes on. It seems that I have to readjust it a few times in the night, as the pillow will move and sometimes cause a whistle in different position. It seem especially to do this if I switch from my side to my back, although when I first put the mask on I have no problem on my back.

Overall, my SleepyHead numbers seem good. I had one bad AHI night over 12, which has skewed my averages. But most nights I am have an AHI between 2-5. My average leaks is .15 and my 95% leaks are 3.6.

Huhsign As this is all so new, I have no idea if this just happens with masks or if I should try a switch out?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Determining if mask fits
Hi IloveZ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a different mask. It's not uncommon to try many different masks 'till you find just the right one that works for you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I have discovered on the Swift FX is that if I scrub the pillows EVERY day with soap and water I have less leak problems--I haven't tried Lanolin. Most of my leaks occur in the last 1 1/2 hours of the night when I tend to be more restless. I'm fortunate in I haven't had to try a lot of other masks--the Pilaro being the only other. My AHI is usually below 1, BUT I have to admit I'm not sure what all the numbers mean as I felt more rested this morning than most with a 1.35 AHI -- the difference being I only woke up once during the night and slept 6 hours straight (usually I wake up at least two times a night).
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the whistling coming from exhaust vent holes or from the pillows?
The pillows should rest on the nostrils, not in them. Turn down humidifier setting and insulate the hose may help if the whistle from moisture in the pillows. Have you seen the fitting guide http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift_...s&sec=true

Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows should fit nicely within the nostrils, usually only one "bulge" deep. You want the straps tight enough that it holds it in place but no so tight it feels like you are stretching the nostrils wider. LOL It's hard to describe!

It is common for a new mask to go through some breaking-in in regards to fit. If air is coming out the nostrils, you will feel it. Sometimes you can gently trace a finger around where the nostril and the pillow meet and you'll feel any leaks.

Keep playing with the headgear to find the best tension.

It is also common for new users to go through a LOT of masks before they find one that fits. No two nasal pillows are the same. They may look like it in the pictures online, but in Real Life, they can fit very differently.

They have what they call "intentional leak" and that is what is coming out the vent holes in the mask. You want that to happen. "Unintentional leaks" are from all the others. The machine can accommodate unintentional leaks up to a certain level, depending on the type of mask, the pressure, and alien influence.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on personal experience, it is also not uncommon to have to re-adjust your mask when you re-adjust your sleeping position. It soon gets to the point where the adjustment is essentially automatic in a semi-sleep state.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup! Exactly!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk - no the whistling is from around the nose, I am pretty sure. It doesn't happen much and I understand what you are asking about the exhaust vent, that happens more frequently than from the nose. It only happens, 2-3 times per night.

Ron - it is good to hear you readjust. I just don't know what is "normal".

Paula - although I think my DME is ok, they only allow one mask switch. I have been hesitant to try another as I like the feel of the FX. I just want to make sure I am getting good results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Swift LT for Her. When I use the Medium sized pillows, they whistle with each breath. I can't find a leak causing it. If I use the Small, the whistling stops. I think the Medium fits better but I cannot tolerate that whistle. Drives me nuts. So I use the small and am able to go to sleep, which is what matters!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 07:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The machine can accommodate unintentional leaks up to a certain level, depending on the type of mask, the pressure, and alien influence.

Did someone say Aliens????

[Image: 9228_zpse4cc917e.jpg]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Can Clear Airway (CA) events be caused by coughing fits? Slides2023 0 485 01-23-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Slides2023
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,210 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Need Help Determining Pressure Changes. DanBisp 4 497 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: DanBisp
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Determining leak with a "nonsupported" mask? sosaystara 19 1,761 10-29-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: ragtopcircus
  One size fits all headgear readyforsleep 14 1,686 02-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.