Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deviated septum, septoplasty and mask
Deviated septum, septoplasty and mask
I will be having a a correction to my wonky septum soon and interested in advice on suitable masks. I currently use nasal pillows and also have a nasal mask. Both of these put pressure on the nose which may not be best for healing.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deviated septum, septoplasty and mask
(11-13-2014, 03:43 PM)Lofty Wrote: I will be having a a correction to my wonky septum soon and interested in advice on suitable masks. I currently use nasal pillows and also have a nasal mask. Both of these put pressure on the nose which may not be best for healing.
Hi Lofty
It all depends on the severity of the deviation & how much tissue & cartilage is removed. Your nose will take a week to heal to the point where PAP pressure can be again used. Mine was done so long ago I don't remember exactly, but I think I slept without gear, in a raised position, on my adjustable bed. A comfortable recliner may do the trick too.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 03:43 PM)Lofty Wrote: I will be having a a correction to my wonky septum soon and interested in advice on suitable masks. I currently use nasal pillows and also have a nasal mask. Both of these put pressure on the nose which may not be best for healing.
Why the surgery? it cannot be that bad as you have no problem breathing through your nose
Not many people with straight septum

Normally, you cannot use CPAP for at least a week after the surgery
After the healing period, you can start CPAP on a lower pressure and increase slowly to prescribed pressure, full face mask is worth a consideration
Ask your ENT and make sure everyone treating and caring for you at the hospital knows about your sleep apnea especially the anaesthetist, most important guy during the surgery and in recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
I do have problems breathing at the moment. Often congestion is so bad it is difficult to initiate the start of the cpap machine. Once the cpap pressurises, it slowly clears the congestion and starts working ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk, I believe the turbinates alternate which nostril we breathe through. Thus when the septum is sufficiently deviated & the turbinates open the restricted side, (& restrict the open side) breathing, & therefore the effect of PAP therapy is compromised. This, I've been told is why ENT's remove the offending nasal cartilage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 04:53 PM)Lofty Wrote: I do have problems breathing at the moment. Often congestion is so bad it is difficult to initiate the start of the cpap machine. Once the cpap pressurises, it slowly clears the congestion and starts working ok.
Have you tried saline sinus rinses? cheap and clear the congestion

I had the surgery and did not help a lot with congestion problems, many CPAP users experience congestion problems, its one of CPAP side effects that we have to deal with. My free worthless advice is keep away from ENT doctors (I should have listened to my own advice)
often said "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Everyone is different, some get congested with high humidity level, and opposite true for others,
some don't use humidifier at all, this something need some tinkering
Post Reply Post Reply
It is also possible you have enlarged turbinates. That said, there are other possibilities, of course. I had a turbinate reduction & I must say I'm very glad I did. I can now breathe freely though my nose at any time in any position. ENT's do have a penchant for operations, but I believe if you have huge turbinates, which present the same symptoms you describe, you would benefit from the surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah Im lookikng at having some nasal polyps removed, again. Nothing near as bad as last time though.

I wasnt on Cpap then and I was wondering about cpap after this one. wonder could the fitlife total face be used? It doesnt rest on the nose at all. I started with that until lately was gifted a F&P Simplus and old nasal mask that I can use but it a size smaller than Id need.

Figured if anything would work the Fitlife would be the one that would but that is just a guess. Id hate to not be able to use the machine. With it my O2 is fine. Without it going into the low 60s is normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 01:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It doesnt rest on the nose at all. I started with that until lately was gifted a F&P Simplus and old nasal mask that I can use but it a size smaller than Id need.
The F&P Simplus has a convoluted seal around the bridge of the nose so that it doesn't put any pressure on that part of the face, but still makes a good seal. I'm thinking (if it were the right size) it would do the job for you just fine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 01:10 AM)woozie38 Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 01:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It doesnt rest on the nose at all. I started with that until lately was gifted a F&P Simplus and old nasal mask that I can use but it a size smaller than Id need.
The F&P Simplus has a convoluted seal around the bridge of the nose so that it doesn't put any pressure on that part of the face, but still makes a good seal. I'm thinking (if it were the right size) it would do the job for you just fine.

Thats sorta what I was thinking if they let me use a mask at all. The only thing where the fitlife might be better is the stupid packing and string that hangs out of your nose for a week.

Cant really see that string working very well in the Simplus. Probably swallow it LOL.

I have a Fitlife. Thought maybe if they let me use it I could tape that dumb string to my cheek as theres plenty of room in it to do that. Not so much with the Simplus.
They will let me know I reckon when the time comes LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,336 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 662 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 305 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,015 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.