Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone use an oral mask? How horrific is the dry mouth?
Does anyone use an oral mask? How horrific is the dry mouth?
I'm getting some nasal surgery so I'm going to have to switch to an oral mask for about a month. How awful is the dry mouth from the oral mask? If I even open my mouth briefly with a full face mask during the night the dry mouth is terrible so I can't even imagine what an oral mask would be like. Let me know your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone use an oral mask? How horrific is the dry mouth?
I'm only aware of one oral mask, the F&P Oracle. After trying it for a couple of weeks I had to give it up because I could not get an acceptable leak rate. Despite the fact that my nose is almost completely blocked through allergic rhinitis I was leaking air through my nose. The mask comes with nose plugs and I also tried nose clips. I'm not sure how this would affect you after nasal surgery.

Dry mouth can certainly be a problem, though I would imagine this is an individual thing. I think the instructions actually say the mask must be used with a humidifier. I was able to adjust the humidity so that the dry mouth was not too bad in the morning.

I think you should think carefully about this and consult your Doctors. An oral mask may not be the answer. If you are going to use one I would suggest you try it before your surgery to see that it can be effective for you and that you can tolerate it.

I have found the Amara View very good. This is in fact a full face mask but it sits under the nose rather than covering it entirely. If this is an option for you after surgery you may prefer it and find it more effective.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2017, 12:17 AM)Darryl44 Wrote: I'm only aware of one oral mask, the F&P Oracle. After trying it for a couple of weeks I had to give it up because I could not get an acceptable leak rate. Despite the fact that my nose is almost completely blocked through allergic rhinitis I was leaking air through my nose. The mask comes with nose plugs and I also tried nose clips. I'm not sure how this would affect you after nasal surgery.

Dry mouth can certainly be a problem, though I would imagine this is an individual thing. I think the instructions actually say the mask must be used with a humidifier. I was able to adjust the humidity so that the dry mouth was not too bad in the morning.

I think you should think carefully about this and consult your Doctors. An oral mask may not be the answer. If you are going to use one I would suggest you try it before your surgery to see that it can be effective for you and that you can tolerate it.

I have found the Amara View very good. This is in fact a full face mask but it sits under the nose rather than covering it entirely. If this is an option for you after surgery you may prefer it and find it more effective.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much for sharing that experience. I guess I didn't realize that you would have to plug your nose when using the oral mask. Plugging my nose definitely won't be an option for me since I won't be allowed to put any pressure on my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure what surgery you are getting or where you can't put pressure on the nose, but I used my F&P Simplus the day of my surgery. And yeah, the dry mouth is not fun.
Post Reply Post Reply
The instructions for the mask talk about only having to do this for a couple of weeks to train you to breath through your mouth. To me this was not a problem. There was something about changing a host attachment if you did not use the clips, but no alternative attachment was packaged with the mask. Instructions for the mask should be available online which may clear things up.

Don't give up on it but do look at it more carefully and discuss with your doctors.

Once again good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2017, 02:53 AM)Darryl44 Wrote: The instructions for the mask talk about only having to do this for a couple of weeks to train you to breath through your mouth. To me this was not a problem. There was something about changing a host attachment if you did not use the clips, but no alternative attachment was packaged with the mask. Instructions for the mask should be available online which may clear things up.

Don't give up on it but do look at it more carefully and discuss with your doctors.

Once again good luck.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbie here, been on cpap/autopap for three years now:
You may want to see if you can use oraljel dry mouth moisturizing gel or use biotene moisturizing spray before you go to bed at night. I do it (I have a full face mask) and it helps me out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Amara View after surgery. It worked

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 11:41 PM)Ihaveapnea Wrote: I'm getting some nasal surgery so I'm going to have to switch to an oral mask for about a month. How awful is the dry mouth from the oral mask? If I even open my mouth briefly with a full face mask during the night the dry mouth is terrible so I can't even imagine what an oral mask would be like. Let me know your thoughts.

I dunno, never really had a dry too terrible, there is some, but is tolerable
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.