Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Devilbiss Sleepcube noisy?
Devilbiss Sleepcube noisy?
I recently replaced my 5yo Resmed S9 with a Devilbiss Sleepcube Auto Plus. I am still experimentine with settings, because this is my first 'auto' machine.

So far, so average Sad 

Whilst I am happy to report that my aerophagia issues are much reduced (as I hoped when using an auto machine), I am finding the machine much noisier than my Resmed. The noise is not motor or fan noise, but sounds simply like air moving through the machine, rising and falling as I breathe. it is particularly loud on the inhale.

I am currently using exhale pressure relief with mild rounding.

Does anybody on here have experience with both machines and, if so, may I ask if you found one or the other noticeably noisier?

The other weird thing, possibly normal with an auto machine, occurs after an apnea event (possibly a central). I am wakened, either by the apnea or by the efforts of the machine to get me breathing again. The noise is incredible! Even worse, though I am awake and my breathing has been restored, the machine continues to freak out for quite some time, so noisy in fact that my wife has been awakened by it several times. It seems to take four or five minutes for the machine to calm down. Even turning it off then on again doesn't settle it down - only time.

Is this normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Devilbiss Sleepcube noisy?
I know this is not particularly helpful to your question, but can you exchange your machine for a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet?

That would get you a quiet APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 07:19 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: I know this is not particularly helpful to your question, but can you exchange your machine for a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet?

That would get you a quiet APAP.

I could, but I'd have to stump up another AU$1000 or so. Before even contemplating that, I need to know if my Sleepcube is faulty, or they're just a noisy machine. I hope it's the former.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change masks with the new machine?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 08:19 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Did you change masks with the new machine?

I'm not sure why it's controversial to ask that? Seems reasonable to me Smile 

No, still using the mask I was using with the Resmed - the Quattro FX full face.

I spoke with the supplier moments ago. They have asked me to return the machine. Worryingly though, the guy I spoke to said the noise I described is normal. That simply can't be true because, last time I looked, both the Resmed S9 and my new Devilbiss Sleepcube were rated at 26dba and the Sleepcube is WAAAY noisier than the S9.

I would like to keep the Sleepcube if I can, both from a financial point of view and because I also bought a 12v battery for it, to use when I'm flying. The Resmed uses 24v.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 08:31 PM)StevesSp Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:19 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Snipped

I would like to keep the Sleepcube if I can, both from a financial point of view and because I also bought a 12v battery for it, to use when I'm flying. The Resmed uses 24v.

Actually, no.  The Resmed doesn't necessarily use a 24 V battery.  The motor requires 24 V though.  Hang with me.

The Resmed units require the use of a proprietary Resmed DC-DC converter, even if you are using a 24 V battery.  Simple.  They want more of your money to more fully utilize your machine.  They make their blower units so that it will only turn on if it sees a "handshake" signal from the official power supply.  (Yes, evil, I know.)

So, to use a battery with an S-9 or newer Resemed, you have to buy their $100 USD power supply.  But if you DO, you can happily use a 12 V battery with it.  And the DC-DC step up does not result in a very dramatic loss, unlike inverter systems.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2019, 07:53 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 08:31 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I would like to keep the Sleepcube if I can, both from a financial point of view and because I also bought a 12v battery for it, to use when I'm flying. The Resmed uses 24v.

Actually, no.  The Resmed doesn't necessarily use a 24 V battery.  The motor requires 24 V though.  Hang with me.

The Resmed units require the use of a proprietary Resmed DC-DC converter, even if you are using a 24 V battery.  Simple.  They want more of your money to more fully utilize your machine.  They make their blower units so that it will only turn on if it sees a "handshake" signal from the official power supply.  (Yes, evil, I know.)

So, to use a battery with an S-9 or newer Resemed, you have to buy their $100 USD power supply.  But if you DO, you can happily use a 12 V battery with it.  And the DC-DC step up does not result in a very dramatic loss, unlike inverter systems.

Thanks, but that's starting to sound like too many contranclements to set up on board an airplane. With the Sleepcube, I only need the device, the small Medistrom battery and a single lead. If the plane is noisy enough, I might not be able to hear the darn Sleepcube. Bonus! Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 3 16,827 04-15-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,464 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 414 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,480 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [CPAP] DeVilbiss Smartlink Module DV5M fault innovativekiwi 0 635 01-10-2023, 01:43 AM
Last Post: innovativekiwi
  OSCAR + Devilbiss DV64 questions Cuppa 6 664 11-19-2022, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Cuppa
  DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto Adjust Error message E06 MSGabbani 2 1,114 08-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: MSGabbani

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.