Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Diabetes Testing under US Medicare
I've been using One-Touch Test strips for quite a few years now. I had been getting them under medicare part B plus my medigap insurance.

It seems as of 1 July, only A***** Medical is a supplier; and their reputation stinks.

I therefore will be dropping One Touch. Can someone suggest a meter; and a medicare supplier for testing.

I'm thinking Bayer Contour -- I've been working this issue since June.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to go back to freestyle this year because of insurance but I am still using my contour plus until they run out. I don't know how medicare works for part b. I thought you would've had more choices in providers. If you must get them without insurance you would want to use the freestyle precision neo.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also use a regular pharmacy that takes medicare and your secondary. They are not allowed to charge more than mail-order.
Post Reply Post Reply

I got the Contour USB. I find it to be more accurate than the one touch (consecutive pokes have very close numbers rather than say 30 pts off) You can get either contour meter for free, easily - and the strips should you have to pay for them yourself cost less than my old onetouch co-pay did.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I've also returned to the Freestyle meter, after experimenting with a Roche meter that required way too much blood for its sample. To be honest, I believe I ordered the Freestyle test strips through my secondary health policy after my endo wrote out a script for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Bayer Contour Next USB meter. I get a 90 days supply of test strips from our local pharmacy. When I need extra test strips, I've also purchased them online.
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-13-2016, 08:19 PM)PollCat Wrote: I've also returned to the Freestyle meter, after experimenting with a Roche meter that required way too much blood for its sample. To be honest, I believe I ordered the Freestyle test strips through my secondary health policy after my endo wrote out a script for them.

yes, the accu-chek meters require a really obnoxious amount of blood. The Contour uses less than the Onetouch, but I have never compared to the Freestyle. One thing Roche did right tho is the Fast-clix lancing device - that thing and its lancet cartridge of 6 is the bomb. I got a free accu-chek meter from my last "Diabetes Educator" appointment just to obtain said lancing device Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I found one MC approved supplier in Michigan willing to send 6 boxes of one-touch. That's from remaining stock, then they will no longer supply one-touch. I asked about Bayer Contour Next; and they will not supply those either.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
what is your copay? i found the bayer strips retail below my onetouch copay (if I use pharmacy benefit - i found i can use dme bennie and get 4 times as many for free of what ever brand i want, not subject to the pharmacy formulary)

Post Reply Post Reply

I have a medicare supplement that covers the co-pay.
The issue has come up because CMS has reduced reimbursement to $8.32 per 50 as of July 1st. So, everyone is dropping OneTouch.
I have ordered a Bayer Contour Next USB meter; and will get strips from Amazon when I have exhausted OneTouch.

CMS has really messed things up. They'll be paying for more ER visits.
I tried to leave a message with the Secretary of HHS; his voicemail is full.

This all started to unravel when the ACA took away the tax deduction for employers to provide Rx benefits to retiree's (according to their HR dept.)
They through us into the exchanges and put a stipend into an HRA for us.

Actually it goes back further -- I had retiree Rx coverage through express-scripts; and they provided test strips.
They decided to have us use our part B to obtain strips. They set us up with a provider; and the universe of providers has shrunk to nil.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Advantage Provider Adding Elevated Diagnosis Codes When Billing Medicare Crimson Nape 12 677 10-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  US Medicare numbers to change from the SSN. justMongo 9 641 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Medicare Part D quantity limits justMongo 1 480 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Information [News] Medicare unveils far-reaching overhaul of doctors' pay ApneaNews 0 480 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  US Medicare Medigap Question justMongo 5 773 11-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Last Post: eplantz
  Medicare and B12 me50 12 2,269 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  How do you sue Medicare -- I mean take 'em to the woodshed. justMongo 9 2,178 02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: archangle