Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Diabetes and Apnea
Diabetes and Apnea
I'm new here, but a CPAP/APAP user since 1991. Living in the UK/Germany.

I recently changed to an S9 APAP machine, having previously had a Goodknight 420 and have been monitoring the software readings as a result. Something has registered, of which I was never aware: The 'central apnoes' seem to be closely linked to blood sugar levels.

I've used the machine at various times of the day to look at the readouts.
As many with type 2 diabetes - age-related - know, blood sugar starts to rise about 4am and with me tends to peak with a very high level at around 8am.

The S9 software - amazingly - shows a completely corresponding increase in 'central apnoes' during this time, which can even be as often as every few minutes around 6-8am if I stay sleeping. On the other hand, during the period up to 4 am, when blood sugar is normally low, there are virtually no centrals.
Obstructive apnoes however, remain at normal intervals - ie. seldom - the whole of the time.

The tie-in between central apnoes and blood sugar is something I will discuss with the doc next time I'm there.
Greetings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diabetes and Apnea
Hi beckertrev,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for posting your findings, very interesting.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2013, 06:19 AM)beckertrev Wrote: As many with type 2 diabetes - age-related - know, blood sugar starts to rise about 4am and with me tends to peak with a very high level at around 8am.

Many call this the "dawn effect." It affects everyone, not just diabetics, although the amount of the blood sugar increase varies among individuals from little or nothing to massive. As far as I can tell it's an evolutionary thing so that upon waking your blood sugar will be high enough for you to defend your life or go catch something for your breakfast. The actual action is where your liver converts stored compounds in various complex processes to glucose and pumps it out into your blood. I keep telling my liver that I have a refrigerator and cupboards full of food, so it doesn't need to do this any more, but my liver has never paid much attention to me.

I use NPH insulin at bedtime to control this. NPH insulin has a very slow onset and a long tail, so it reaches peak activity close to the time when the liver goes into hyper-mode.

As for centrals, I seldom have them, but after reading your experience I will start watching for the time of night when they occur, Perhaps I will find a pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got Type 2 diabetes, but I never knew about the blood sugar rise in the early morning. When I have an APA machine I always got a huge bunch of centrals starting around 4:30 or 5:00. Now with VPAP-ASV they're gone.

By the way - how do you monitor your blood sugar through the night? I do a finger-stick in the morning (though I admit I don't do it every morning) and frankly I'm sick of it. My finger tips are tingling all the time so I'm not as conscientious about it as I should be.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do a finger-stick in the morning (though I admit I don't do it every morning) and frankly I'm sick of it. My finger tips are tingling all the time so I'm not as conscientious about it as I should be.
[/quote]

I've had type 1 diabetes for 35 years. I do finger sticks 4 times a day 4 days a week. The trick is not to stick the pads or tip. Stick the side just below the finger nail. There are less nerves there and you don't grab things with the sides. Also after the sample is taken treat is as a wound and apply pressure to it with a tissue and hold it for 60 sec. This will keep it from discoloring and help to keep the skin soft.
MARK
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 12:59 AM)fb4mark Wrote: I do a finger-stick in the morning (though I admit I don't do it every morning) and frankly I'm sick of it. My finger tips are tingling all the time so I'm not as conscientious about it as I should be.

I've had type 1 diabetes for 35 years. I do finger sticks 4 times a day 4 days a week. The trick is not to stick the pads or tip. Stick the side just below the finger nail. There are less nerves there and you don't grab things with the sides. Also after the sample is taken treat is as a wound and apply pressure to it with a tissue and hold it for 60 sec. This will keep it from discoloring and help to keep the skin soft.
[/quote]

Only four days a week? What do you do on your days off? :grin:

That's good advice re not sticking the tip and pads - I do try to spread it around a bit. I did think about some other parts of the body (forearm maybe) but haven't done any experimenting yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always had an aversion to needles, even though I give blood every 56 to 60 days and now have to give myself insulin injections every night. I'm supposed to test my blood twice a day, at random times. As I hate the finger-tip stick, I use an alternate site meter that allows me to use my lower arms (usually the wrists) to check my sugar readings.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,848 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,885 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,524 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.