Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How do you receive your insulin?
This poll is closed.
Needles and vials?
11.11%
2 11.11%
Self-contained pens?
27.78%
5 27.78%
Not taking insulin shots yet?
61.11%
11 61.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Diabetics, which do you use?
(04-19-2014, 10:13 PM)PollCat Wrote:
(04-19-2014, 10:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Longest acting insulin is Insulin Glargine (aka Lantus). 24 hour duration. It's used as a basal insulin.

Hmm, I use the Lantus SoloStar pen and only have to inject once a day, (usually) around 11:30 at night. Doc told me it's very important to get the insulin the same time each day. But, it's hard to do when you're driving home from a concert during the time you should be injecting. Thinking-about

For that scenario, I suggest you do wait until home to inject. Low blood sugar is rare with Lantus alone; but could happen. Better to be a little on the high (glucose wise) side when driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2014, 08:59 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 10:44 PM)PollCat Wrote: I thought we had a lot of diabetics on the board; guess I should have posted this one on the Main board

I moved it to the Main Forum, Bob.

I'm a type II diabetic and I voted that no insulin yet... not looking forward to the day when it will be necessary for sure!

You know, I kind of don't like the wording on this poll. "Yet"? Nothing is a foregone conclusion. I controlled my BG for over 10 years with just diet and exercise and only since February have I started on Metformin. Went in for an A1C test last week to see how the metformin was doing and was down to 6.7 so I was happy (especially since A1C covers 3 months of glycated hemoglobin and it takes weeks or longer for Metformin to really start working!). I thought that 2 months was a bit soon to get good numbers, but whatever. Labs don't cost me anything but a bit of a bruise! Smile I am 53 so I am hoping I can keep from ever having to go on the needle!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a Type 1 diabetic and use an insulin pump. The pump means I only have to do a 'stick' every two or three days. When I was using long lasting insulin and rapid acting insulin, I used a pre-filled pen 5-8 times a day. Love my pump as I'm not all that fond of needles. I still have to do the finger pokes however.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-21-2014, 12:29 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I still have to do the finger pokes however.

The only thing I hate worse than the needles is the finger pokes. The only finger pokes I routinely suffer through are at the Indiana Blood Center; having AB+ blood puts me on their hit list. I do my BG testing on my wrists with a very small pin!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to say, my lovely wife has a new stabber that can stick her on the arm, anywhere between elbow and wrist - she really likes that better than finger sticks. Just note, the number is not as accurate as a finger stick though.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The 'stabber' I use is called "Fastclix". It has a drum that you insert into the lancet device and then you can change lancets by just turning a switch. It is much kinder than most other stabbers I've used.
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm moving this thread to the Off Topic just because I can.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 01:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm moving this thread to the Off Topic just because I can.

Hammer [Image: ATT12118551.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 11:41 PM)PollCat Wrote:
(04-25-2014, 01:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm moving this thread to the Off Topic just because I can.

Hammer [Image: ATT12118551.gif]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5E1Al0n-nsKSK6WOvg0A...EaxIJ7VqlF]

Post Reply Post Reply

Ha. Jealous?
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another step toward eliminating fingerpricks for diabetics... DeepBreathing 0 299 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  type 2 diabetics... cause for hope? DariaVader 7 690 03-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Question Data Happy Diabetics.... DariaVader 14 1,491 11-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Last Post: DariaVader