Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Diagnosed years ago, symptoms returned
Diagnosed years ago, symptoms returned
Hello,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2010 and used a CPAP for about 4 years.  I had 2 spinal surgeries and was on strong pain meds.  Took me 3 years but I got off the pain meds and within a year I didn't even snore anymore.  I stopped using a CPAP then.  In the last 2 years I've been steadily gaining weight and it has returned.  My partner says I stop breathing and gasp a lot and snore super loud.  I'm exhausted every day.  I'm sure the apnea has returned.  My current insurance does not cover a sleep study.  I cannot afford out of pocket expenses for doctors visits, sleep studies, and then equipment.  I'm going to buy a CPAP from Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.  I'm looking for suggestions on the brand.  I think one that has auto pressure.  Please don't respond with advice to see a doctor.  Ideally that's what I would do but I can't afford several thousand dollars to get this addressed.  I greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thank you!

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diagnosed years ago, symptoms returned
You could arrange for a home sleep study. Not necessarily the same as seeing a doctor but would give you an idea of what is going on.

Honestly? Resmed, Resmed, Resmed. If you can find a low blower hours Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (or Autoset for her) then that's the best option. Make sure it's the autoset version though, because APAP is by far the best way to go. I think the S9 also has an APAP version as well. But definitely Resmed.

P.S. Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
You want a ResMed autoset. Newest is s11 - probably not available used. ResMed s10 AUTOSET. Autoset is important.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Home sleep studies are not particularly expensive, but nor is second-hand CPAP equipment. A sleep study -- even a home one -- will probably tell you whether you would benefit from CPAP. But buying a CPAP machine and trying it would also probably answer that question. I was in basically the same position, and I figured that it probably wouldn't hurt to try it, even if it doesn't help (and I'm still not really sure it does).

In the end, I started by hiring the equipment, which was even cheaper than buying it. I don't know if there are business that hire this stuff in other regions than mine. The data collected from the machine is quite good for indicating whether you really have a sleep apnea problem but, I suspect, not as good as a decent sleep study would be.

I don't know enough to recommend one machine over another, or even one manufacturer over another. However, FWIW I would strongly recommend buying or hiring a machine that collects data that you can look at. I believe the slang term around here for a machine that doesn't collect any data is a "brick". Even second-hand, you probably don't want a brick.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, definitely stay away from a brick, as the data from the machine is all you will have to go on.

Also stay away from any of the weird off-brand blowers that aren't supported by OSCAR. The data won't do you much good if you can't read it!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're going to buy a CPAP, it will come down to one choice ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. You might consider a home sleep study with the report coming to yourself. I suppose it could be done that way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 313 1 hour ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.