Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] A bit lost after WatchPat result
A bit lost after WatchPat result
[attachment=31892][attachment=31892]I have suffered from unexplained fatigue for much of my adolescence, which has only worsened as i progress through 20s. Doctor's in the UK have refused to give me a sleep test as I don't meet their weight requirements. As a result, I payed for a private WatchPat test, the results of which are below. Their conclusion was that I don't have apnea. I was wondering what people on this forum thought of my results. Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A bit lost after WatchPat result
Hi Hms123!  -  Welcome

EDIT: I misread your sleep results when making the post below. - Sorry!

Based on the following chart copied from Harvard's website, you have severe borderline mild apnea.  Please take this classification with several grains of salt.  I feel that it is more a scare tactic than being truly informative.  Many of us have had pretreatment AHI values in the 80s to the high 90s.   Based on the accepted chart below, we would be well past redemption. Big Grin   The bottom line is something is effecting your sleep.  Your RDI is of significance, followed by your AHI.  If you decide to do it on your own, look for an auto-titrating CPAP.  The most recommended is the Resmed AirSense10 Autoset.

Harvard.edu Wrote:Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI)

The AHI is the number of apneas or hypopneas recorded during the study per hour of sleep. It is generally expressed as the number of events per hour. Based on the AHI, the severity of OSA is classified as follows:
  • None/Minimal: AHI < 5 per hour
  • Mild: AHI ≥ 5, but < 15 per hour
  • Moderate: AHI ≥ 15, but < 30 per hour
  • Severe: AHI ≥ 30 per hour

Please keep us informed of your decision.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

IMHO you just missed a diagnosis of Mild OSA in the states. Your AHI was 4.8 with 5 needed for a diagnosis.
With RDI of 17.2 and AHI of 4.8 you likely have a mild/moderate UARS, Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome.

Note: This may or may not be causing your fatigue.

Dr. Krakow has said that UARS, RERA, and Flow Limits may be considered the same thing. The best machine for this is a BiLevel such as ResMed VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dr. Krakow has said that UARS, RERA, and Flow Limits may be considered the same thing

He may have said that but they really shouldn't be - they each describe distinct phenomena. A flow limitation is flattening of inspiratory portion of the flow curve. When a sequence of flow limitations lasts >10 seconds and ends in arousal, it becomes a RERA (assuming it doesn't meet the criteria for hypopnea). When someone has an AHI <5, but RDI (AHI + RERAs/hr) >5, they were historically considered to have UARS. Someone with an AHI of 10 and RDI of 15 has RERAs and flow limitations, but they do not have UARS. Someone with occasional flow limitations without arousals does not have RERAs or UARS.

Under current AASM definitions, an RDI of 17 is moderate sleep apnea. Historically, AHI <5 and RDI >5 was considered UARS, but now UARS and sleep apnea are considered the same disease, and the AASM considers RDI >5 to be sleep apnea with symptoms, or RDI >15 regardless of symptoms. 

https://aasm.org/resources/clinicalguide...ng-osa.pdf

> The third edition of the International Classification of Sleep Disorders (ICSD-3) defines OSA as a PSG-determined obstructive respiratory disturbance index (RDI) ≥ 5 events/h associated with the typical symptoms of OSA (e.g., unrefreshing sleep, daytime sleepiness, fatigue or insomnia, awakening with a gasping or choking sensation, loud snoring, or witnessed apneas), or an obstructive RDI ≥ 15 events/h (even in the absence of symptoms).23 In addition to apneas and hypopneas that are included in the AHI, the RDI includes respiratory effort-related arousals (RERAs). The scoring of respiratory events is defined in The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, Version 2.3 (AASM Scoring Manual)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again, thanks for your messages. I'm now looking at machines. Would the AirCurve VPAP Auto (VAuto) be suitable for me? Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
IF you are paying for this machine out of pocket, take a look at Supplier #2 (on the suppliers list at the top of the site).  They sell slightly used machines   I have bought one for myself (1 month of use) and one for my son (1week) of use. Great machines and a very good company. The will ship outside the US.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A ResMed VAuto would be an excellent machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes a VAuto will work wonders. If/when you get it, also download a free copy of OSCAR and be sure to have an SD card in the VAuto slot on the top left side under the rubber flap.

SD needs to be an SD or SDHC, full size form factor, 2-32 GB, and the PAP can format or you can as well to FAT32. The SD card needs to be in the PAP before sleeping to capture detailed data and the SD need not be locked at all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes unfortunately it's out of pocket (NHS in the UK doesn't recognise UARS as a condition), and from my understanding only prescribes BiPAPs for severe sleep apnea. Thanks for the link!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 12:30 PM)staceyburke Wrote: IF you are paying for this machine out of pocket, take a look at Supplier #2 (on the suppliers list at the top of the site).  They sell slightly used machines   I have bought one for myself (1 month of use) and one for my son (1week) of use. Great machines and a very good company. The will ship outside the US.

Would they sell to someone who doesn't have a prescription?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 48 3,272 2 hours ago
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 124 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,711 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 438 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  AHI Discrepancy w/ AirSense 10 AS and WatchPat Sleep Study TheProphetofLies 6 392 02-26-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Diagnosis] Help with Lofta WatchPAT ONE results kenm 2 334 02-17-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: kenm
  Japanese sleep test vs. Lofta/WatchPAT discrepancy + flow chart morphology analysis? woodenwaterbottle 3 4,578 01-24-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.