Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] AHI, ODI, nose conditions and sleep position
AHI, ODI, nose conditions and sleep position
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea almost 3 years ago with an AHI of 17.7 and an ODI of 12.2. I have been using a CPAP machine ever since and it's been working great for me (I got my life back basically!). However, I have not given up on someday curing myself of the condition. I have tried losing weight and I am now playing the didgeridoo religiously in the hope of toning these flabby tissues in the back of my throat. In order to measure progress, I have bought my own home test kit straight from China: Commercial Link Removed, Instead search BMC store at aliexpress.
The results I was I getting were similar to my original diagnosis at first. I lost about 25lbs and did not see any improvement. I started playing the Didgeridoo and saw some immediate improvements with my best recording having an AHI of 5.4 and an ODI of 4.2 after 6 weeks. However, while these results were encouraging, they seem to be fluctuating heavily, the worst being last night...  I slept great but the machine recorded an AHI of 17.2 and an ODI of 10.6...

It seems that in the instances where I had the worst recording (like last night), I had a pretty stuffy nose (due to breathing smoke right now in socal). Is it related and can it affect the test that much? Another possibility I thought of is sleep position... It's possible I had my best score because I slept only on my side that night. I was told I did not have positional sleep apnea but my in-lab study was conducted pretty poorly in my opinion and when I looked at the report it really seemed like my sleep apnea was much better when sleeping on my side (but I'm no doctor obviosuly). Finally it's possible my machine is a piece of junk but this seems like pretty straightforward technology to me.

Anyway I am going to try one of these pillows that forces you to sleep on your side for my next test but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on all that!!

thanks!

Franck-

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI, ODI, nose conditions and sleep position
Smoke can irritate the tissues in you throat causing them to swell. That could lead to more apnea events. Also sleeping on your back also can cause more events. Tucking your chin in while you sleep can cause your airway to cut off. That also shoes up as clusters of events.
Finally you can have clear airway events that can't be controlled by CPAP.

But with out a sleepyhead chart to look at it's hard to say which one it's likely to be. If you could post a chart it would be helpful.
Guidelines for posting are just below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I have the data in the PolyLogic Analysis Software that came with the Test Kit but I have not been able to import it into SleepyHead. I'll do more research on that to see if there is a way. Thanks for the tips!

franck-
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think sleepyhead will work with that. Sorry I saw the Remed in your profile and assumed you were using that.

Does your PolyLogic software have detailed data? If so you could post that.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Franck,
Shin Ryoku posted an interesting link in another recent thread that speaks to some of your questions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28185772

Apparently, weight loss may reduce apnea when sleeping on your side more than it does when supine. 

The thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-kick-in

Good luck with your endeavors. I am very interested in how you make out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I have detailed data from the PolyLogic software... not too sure how to output it here... I'll try taking a bunch of screenshots maybe.

Thanks Shin! I will check that link! I am planning to keep on playing the Didgeridoo 5 times a week 20 minutes a day for at least the next 2 years as I hope there are at least long term benefits and when you get into it, it's a fun hobby anyway!!

f-
Post Reply Post Reply
If you take screen shots post them on Imgur and post the links here. The link is just below.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FranckDG,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss and good luck as you continue CPAP therapy, and have fun with the new hobby.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I've just about reached 3 months of "didgeridoo therapy" which is 5 days a week 20 minutes per day with circular breathing. I did another home test last night with great results although I think that I slept mostly on my side which explains the good results. Still, these are the best results I have ever got so it's encouraging: AHI=4.4, ODI=3.3. Is that within acceptable range?

I am going to keep at it (keep the CPAP for now, keep playing the didgeridoo and keep testing myself every now and then) but if I see this trend continue, maybe I will be able to put the CPAP away... (I would still have to test myself regularly).

I was able to generate some PDF reports from the Polylogic software but they are around 400kb each and it seems the attachment size is limited to 200kb. Is there any other way I can post them?

thanks!

Franck-

Actually I was able to do it with Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/d6jA4. Let me know what you think!

thanks!

franck-
Post Reply Post Reply
Within the next few hours your member status will change and you can then post links to Imgur or other hosting site. There is free software to convert PDF to IMG or PNG if you want to post as images.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.