Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Airsense 10 using a lot of water
Airsense 10 using a lot of water
Hello all, new to the forum and thought I'd throw this question out there. I've had this machine for 3 or 4 years now. Within the last 6 or 7 months, the humidifier is going through a ton of water. I have the humidity set on 3 like I always have, our house stays around 71 degrees all year give or take and I used to be able to get 4 nights out of a tank of water. That is not the case anymore as I'm lucky to get two nights. I've tried turning the humidifier down to 2 but it had no effect. It almost seems like it is stuck on a very high level no matter where I set it. I'm not getting condensation in the nasal mask, and I have no water droplets in the tube which is a standard unit, not the heated one. Is there anything I can try to do to remedy it or should I take it back to where I got it for them to look at or possibly have sent in for repair?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 using a lot of water
Jetmech, do you have the CPAP, Elite or Autoset? Doesn't make much difference other than it helps to know for other matters.

It sounds like your humidifier is stuck on high and using much more water than normal. Mine varies between almost no use, and nearly emptying the reservoir. You can look at the About menu on your machine and see the run hours. That will tell you more precisely how old the machine is. Chances are if it is malfunctioning, you can get a new machine at this point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, it's a CPAP. That's what it seems like, but I didn't know if that was something that could actually happen. When I first got it, I was impressed with how long a reservoir lasted. Now, I'm nearly appalled. I will probably start with taking it back to the store that sold it to me. I'll let them make that determination.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only reason the Elite and Autoset are preferred is that they produce full efficacy data. If you ultimately replace this machine, it would be nice to get one that provides data, and even better if you had auto-adjusting pressure in a comfortable and effective range. Apologies not needed other than your supplier is saving a couple bucks by giving you the cheapest option where you can't monitor your therapy. If you ask, you will usually receive a better machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never really thought about asking for an upgraded machine. At the time I got this one, I was just happy to get one that wasn't making noises like it may explode during the middle of the night. That one (my original) was so noisy that it would actually keep me up, granted it was roughly 8 years old by the time it all went downhill.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2018, 03:42 PM)Jetmech Wrote: Hello all, new to the forum and thought I'd throw this question out there. I've had this machine for 3 or 4 years now. Within the last 6 or 7 months, the humidifier is going through a ton of water. I have the humidity set on 3 like I always have, our house stays around 71 degrees all year give or take and I used to be able to get 4 nights out of a tank of water. That is not the case anymore as I'm lucky to get two nights. I've tried turning the humidifier down to 2 but it had no effect. It almost seems like it is stuck on a very high level no matter where I set it. I'm not getting condensation in the nasal mask, and I have no water droplets in the tube which is a standard unit, not the heated one. Is there anything I can try to do to remedy it or should I take it back to where I got it for them to look at or possibly have sent in for repair?

I have only had my Airsense 10 for just short of a month, but I find thatI go through almost a full tank of water each night. When I was using the S9 Autoset with the 5Hi humidifier I normally got at two night on a tank of ? water. I assumed it was due to the difference in how each machine processes the data coming from the hose to decide when to use more humidity and when not to. However, you said that you’re not usingthe ClimateLineAir and your machine is using a lot of water. I have noticed that the last two nights in a row I have had water in the tubing. 

I am using the ClimateLineAir and both the tubing and humidifier set to auto. The rainout just started happening a couple of nights ago. I solved the problem on my S9 by turning the tubing heat up to 86 degrees. I thought the auto settings on the AirSense 10 were supposed to prevent rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you sleeping more hours at night lately?

It would be worth getting a heated hose, to preserve water.

For me, it has depended on the humidity of where I'm at, as well as the number of hours I've slept.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an airsense 10 autoset with heated hose and use about 80% of the water in 8 hrs and refill daily. I'm not concerned about conserving water and don't believe it's a problem. The RH of my ambient air is low so that may explain why I may use more than others.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 09:30 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Are you sleeping more hours at night lately?

For me, it has depended on the humidity of where I'm at, as well as the number of hours I've slept.

How does the heated hose conserve water? I thought it only warmed the air to prevent rainout. Are people more comfortable with the heated air and lower the humidity level?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2018, 07:02 AM)gwc2795 Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 09:30 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Are you sleeping more hours at night lately?

How does the heated hose conserve water? I thought it only warmed the air to prevent rainout. Are people more comfortable with the heated air and lower the humidity level?

I am far from a scientist.  But I'd think the warmed hose would not allow for the condensation to happen going up the hose and even into the mask.  

I think everyone has their own personal sweet spot for both humidity and warmth.

I currently live in a very dry area, so I go through an entire tub of water every night (if I get to sleep a nice amount of time- 8-10 hours).  How quickly I run out of water affects how long I can sleep.   Periodically I wish I could sleep for 11 hours or so, but I can't because my humidifier runs out too soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.