Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Alarming results, help needed
Gross 
Alarming results, help needed
            Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting. My best friend is an active user who has found a great deal of support and good advice on this board. He suggested I post my Oscar data here and let you guys give me feedback.
Simply put, my scores are horrible.  When I got my sleep study done, a few years back, my AHI was not nearly this bad (I need to find the sleep study data, when I do I will post it as well). That being said, I've recently started using my CPAP again, and the data feedback I am getting is totally alarming. See for yourself. 
I need help. I am willing to spend more time writing a post and giving info but I don't know what to include and I'm just feeling mighty discouraged.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alarming results, help needed
Hi CasualBribery!  -  Welcome

Based on your very low Flow Limits with a PS of 2, could be achieved with a regular CPAP (AirSense series) and not a more expensive AirCurve. The model you are using is targeted at patients with OAs and UARS.  The PS difference could be aiding in your CAs.  To test this, I would set it to zero (0).  If you want to continue to use the PS, I highly recommend that you set your "Trigger" to Very High. This should help (somewhat) in reducing your CAs.  You may ultimately be a candidate for an ASV.  

The OAs are not evenly spread out, meaning that they are probably caused by your sleeping position. This is more times than not, chin tucking.

Also, please switch back to the "Standard" view.  The "Advanced" view really means "for advanced CPAP models". These are ASV, ST, and ST-A machines.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
So you think I might benefit from setting it to standard CPAP function, instead of the VAuto? Keeping a continuous constant pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure differences between the EPAP and IPAP pressures can reduce CO2 in your system. This is called CO2 washout and will cause you to generate CA events. CO2 is responsible for triggering your inhale phase. Just setting the PS to 0 (zero) will make your Vauto act like a CPAP, as well as add CO2 back into your breathed air.

Overall, I'm looking at ways to reduce your CAs. If you don't like it without using PS, or it doesn't result in any improvement, you can always turn it back on.

The Auto A10 series usually needs to be in the auto mode to report Flow Limitations. I believe the CPAP and the "S" mode will not report this parameter.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will change the settings and give it a try, thanks. Should I adjust the Ti max/min? Currently it is set at 2s and .3s. Also, my "cycle" is set to medium. Sorry if some of this stuff should be obvious, but I really am starting from a place of ignorance here. Doing my best to read up on the different processes, and how to read and interpret the data. But still feel like the best way at the moment is to consult with this community, since there are so many well informed, caring people here.
Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you aren't using PS, then none of those settings matter. If you do use PS, then leave "Cycle" and Ti min as they are. You might increase the Ti max to 2.8 to 3.0. This will assure the IPAP pressure will not drop before you are finished inhaling. . . It's an uncomfortable feeling, not to mention it can cause arousals.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Changed the settings per your recommendation, slight improvement, but a long way to go...        
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! You need to show this to your prescribing physician. Have you changed medicines, or had medical/physical changes in the past 6 months? In my view, I feel that a medical workup is highly recommended. If all is OK, you seem to be a prime candidate for an ASV. Do you have a recording oximeter? It's just a thought, but I'm wondering what your SpO2 levels are.

I encourage others to please offer their advice.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
        found my old sleep study results, from a while ago
Post Reply Post Reply
is the AirCurve 10 not an ASV devise? Could you give me examples of an ASV device that I should look at? I already contacted a new doc, Fred Lin MD, and gave him some of my latest data. I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks. I definitely need to get another full sleep study. My friend recommended CPAP titration test and a polysomnograph

and maybe a split study
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 136 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,534 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 185 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.