Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Am I just an apnea wannabe?
RE: Am I just an apnea wannabe?
Thanks Red - that is great info on Brevida and the F&P family. I do get leaks with the N30, so will check out Brevida.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not get any response about whether or not a VAuto might be worthwhile for me, which I kind of interpreted as a no. But I've still probably got another 30 years in this body, and I'm willing to try just about anything to have the energy and refreshing sleep I know I am capable of having, so I ordered one anyway.  Shy  

The settings suggested for me have been very helpful, and I am seeing that in the charts in the morning. I have spent several nights not using the CPAP, and I'm seeing clear differences in my sleeping heart rate and HRV via my Apple Watch between the nights I use it and the nights I don't. I am most interested in FEELING GOOD in the morning and not using stimulants to stay awake, so I went ahead and ordered the VAuto as a last-ditch effort here in the machinery realm. 

I am planning to increase the PS to 4, as mentioned. Are there any other settings that I need to change or know about?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure part of your pressure settings can be copy and paste so to speak. PS 4 seems to be OK under the assumption the AutoSet EPR 3 wasn't enough. Stay tuned the pressure gurus will chime in soon enough and give specific settings. I would run the default settings unless need arises in the timing set group... This is the Ti settings and trigger, cycle maintain defaults for these.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On VAuto, there is no reason whatsoever that a VAuto, properly tuned, will be worse than any CPAP or APAP. Better depends on the need to push the boundaries of CPAP/APAP
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2021, 09:02 AM)Gideon Wrote: On VAuto, there is no reason whatsoever that a VAuto, properly tuned, will be worse than any CPAP or APAP.  Better depends on the need to push the boundaries of CPAP/APAP

Right. If I understand you correctly, it’s only useful to have a vauto if the additional latitude it provides is necessary. 

And thanks, Dave. I can’t figure out how to multi-quote on my phone, but I appreciate the response. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2021, 09:02 AM)Gideon Wrote: On VAuto, there is no reason whatsoever that a VAuto, properly tuned, will be worse than any CPAP or APAP.  Better depends on the need to push the boundaries of CPAP/APAP

Question about the vauto -- does pressure support change according to an algorithm? Or do you set the pressure support to a constant and then the EPAP and IPAP will move up and down according to the algorithm, but will always be the constant (set) gap between them? (The APAP version -- EPR -- the gap is constant.)

(Just a curiosity spitballing... Is there an algorithm where the EPAP is fixed and only the IPAP adjusts?)
Post Reply Post Reply
For the VAuto, PS is constant.  You can limit peak IPAP excursion by setting IPAP_maximum.  IPAP-EPAP=PS.  To have variable PS, one needs an even more advanced machine, such as an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
VAuto had static PS. My ASV has PS range at minimum it may be set at is 0-5.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My vauto arrived very quickly. I cannot read the charts well enough to tell what's happening, other than that you all know what you're talking about - the flow-limited breathing has almost vanished. And the central apneas went way up. 

I didn't fall asleep until around 1:45 as I found the machine was asking me to exhale before I was ready. I will need to look into the settings a bit more to figure that out. The cluster of centrals was right as I was falling asleep. I am not sure if I need to make adjustments for those or not.

Interestingly, even with not getting enough sleep and some blood sugar issues today, I am not feeling sleepy. It's a strange feeling. I don't feel energized or anything, but I couldn't nap right now, and I don't remember the last time I felt that way.

Anyway, I hope this is interesting for someone out there. The first chart is the night before last on the airsense and the second chart is last night with the vauto. 

Post Reply Post Reply
The second chart is on the VAuto with somewhat of a CA increase. I'm going to blame pressure support of 4 for that. And I'm fairly certain that it'll likely diminish in a few weeks on its own. But note that CA is consistently inconsistent and it'll be up and down with no changes, just because that's what Centrals do.

If the CA gets very bad, you best answer is cutting PS down a bit, but let's wait it out another day or so if at all possible.

Did the 1.33 CA feel worse than the other PAP and its .23?

On the CA cluster near the beginning of the sleep session, this is fairly near the 0145 you said you thought you fell asleep. I'd consider calling that SWJ, AKA sleep wake junk, due to uneven breath handoff from wake to sleep.

PS if there's consistent issues with breath timing we can visit the VAuto time control set. Make note to tell us how that's going.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,402 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,852 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,897 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.