Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Am I reading this right?
Arrow 
Am I reading this right?
Okay. Next question:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I reading this right?
AARG! Having trouble putting my images in, I lost the message!! Sorry. Hope you can still figure all out!

Okay. Next question:
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how you are reading that, so I have no idea if you are right. Grin

An AHI of 2.3 consisting of 2.0 of Central Apnea and 0.3 Hypopnea. The CA is not a concern at that level and early in the treatment.

Your leak level is excellent.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears confusing at first glance. Let's define some terms.
AHI = the sum of AI + HI (Apnea Index + Hypopnea Index).
The AI can be broken down into two indices: the CAI and the OAI (Central Apnea Index and Obstructive Apnea Index.) The AI = the sum of CAI + OAI.

We see an AHI of 2.3; and an AI of 2.0 -- that means the HI is 2.3 - 2.0 = 0.3
The CAI is 2.0; ergo, the AI is composed of 100% central apneas (because the Obstructive Apnea Index is zero).
OAI = AI - CAI = 2.0 - 2.0 = 0
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. I'm amazed at what great answers you guys can give... Without really even seeing the questions!! What you are saying is what I hypothesized, with my only remaining questions at this point being: Are all "indexes" actually averages of how many events you have per hour? Can I really be having 2 Central apneas PER HOUR?!

Then, are there changes that my therapist or I can make to my machine to adapt it to the nearly 7000 foot altitude where I'm living?? Possibly my high number of centrals can be reduced by a simple adjustment??

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
That is not a high number of centrals and may be affected by altitude. It is worth discussing with your therapist. Reducing your EPR setting might also help.

I had quite a few when I first started and they gradually went away. I would not feel concerned at this point. Also, how are you sleeping? Unlike in a sleep lab, the machine can't tell if you are actually asleep. So holding your breath while rolling over, adjusting the sheets, listening to the machine etc could get scored as a central or obstructive event, even though it is not.

Finally, AHI is a rather rough measure. Kind of like buying pants in feet instead of inches. It is a yardstick, nothing more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! What you say about activities -when not actually sleeping- possibly causing false positives/event scoring is interesting. I'm a very "light" sleeper and do all of these!!

My machine lets me choose "type" of EPR ( I'm on "Full Time") and then "level" ( I'm at 2) What do you suggest I might try changing to help against high altitude?
Post Reply Post Reply
Reducing the EPR from 2 to 1 may reduce the CA. It might also make it uncomfortable for you to exhale. This is not related to altitude, or not directly. Reducing this reduces CO2 washout which can be a cause of machine induced central apnea. If you are comfortable at 1, you might want to later experiment with it off.

I live at sea level and have no experience with altitude. I will direct you to these two threads
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ral-Apneas
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ation-APAP

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,283 Today, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 260 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Help reading Oscar Charts Wisurid 3 413 12-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 512 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Would like some help reading my OSCAR data dynamo 13 706 12-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Low Tidal Volume reading rhwoe 8 801 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.