Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] At-Home Sleep Test Filled with Flow Limitations
At-Home Sleep Test Filled with Flow Limitations
So my doctor recently ordered an at-home sleep study because I was having all the classic symptoms of a sleep breathing disorder (main one being fatigue and feeling more tired after sleeping). I was able to pull the results off the Resmed ApneaLink Air device and they are attached.

OSA seems unlikely given the low AHI, but the flow limitations were plentiful and consistent throughout the night. Does anyone think there is a possibility that I have a sleep breathing disorder or can the flow limitations be ignored? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: At-Home Sleep Test Filled with Flow Limitations
You have RERAs of over 5/hour, The definition of RERA is a series of Flow Limitations ending in arousal. That means that you have an arousal every 12 minutes on average.

The best machine to treat these flow limits is the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, a BiLevel machine. I expect the insurance and medical system to not provide that. The next best would be a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I give you a 90+% chance of failure with a PR machine..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: At-Home Sleep Test Filled with Flow Limitations
(02-17-2020, 05:53 PM)bonjour Wrote: You have RERAs of over 5/hour, The definition of RERA is a series of Flow Limitations ending in arousal.  That means that you have an arousal every 12 minutes on average.

The best machine to treat these flow limits is the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, a BiLevel machine.  I expect the insurance and medical system to not provide that.  The next best would be a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.   I give you a 90+% chance of failure with a PR machine..

Agree with all of the above.

Basically, if you have what seems to be an RDI (AHI + RERAs) of around 7, you have mild UARS.

The tricky part of this is the insurance coverage, and also finding a doc who takes it seriously.

I have UARS, and in my case what got me insurance authorization for the bilevel was an in-lab titration study that demonstrated CPAP wasn't sufficient (I did a study where first part of night was CPAP, and then the rest bilevel).

You might ask the doc about that.

Or get a prescription for one, and buy out of pocket. Gently used VAuto's, in particular, can be much cheaper than new.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 21 46 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 734 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 381 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 271 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 193 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.