Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Borderline/Mild Sleep Apnea - CPAP Improvements?
Borderline/Mild Sleep Apnea - CPAP Improvements?
Hi everyone,

I am 30, 5'11, 170 lbs. For as long as I remember, I have had brain fog, a lack of concentration, a horrendous memory, and wake up exhausted despite exercise, good diet. I recently had a second sleep study and I was diagnosed as "borderline sleep apnea", with most of my events happening in REM. I received my full report and here are some of the details:

Respiratory Event Counts
- 25 Hypopneas
- 21 Stage R Hypopneas
- 0 for everything else - sleep apneas, OSA.

Respiratory indices
- Apnea + Hypopnea - 4.2/hr
- Supine AHI - 5.2/hr

- Stage R AHI - 11.9/hr
- Non-E AHI - 0.9/hr
- REM Supine AHI - 11.9/hr
- RDI - 4.2/hr

Other
- total transitions - 107
- total awakenings - 17
- spontaneous arousals - 22
- no snoring
- O2 nadir 93%

In the summary, my doctor included that I had respiratory-related arousals in the final stage of REM, but the actual report didn't count these I guess.
I am going to try the Resmed autosense 10 on Monday, 5cm-15cm as per the prescription.

At first I was under the impression I stopped breathing 4.2 times a night (~6 hour sleep), and read online many reports of people with as low of an AHI of 2-3 having improved sleep. But in my case, these are exclusively hypopneas and not sleep apneas, so I am a bit confused. Has anyone with a similar sleep study received any benefits of using a CPAP?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Borderline/Mild Sleep Apnea - CPAP Improvements?
Welcome to the forum.
Welcome
Once you get your machine.  Get OSCAR and post a daily screen shot.  You can find the links in my signature.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I got the machine today. I am told that my data will be sent automatically, so I don't have to do anything. Will OSCAR mess up this data transfer process?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR will not interfere with the data transmission. In fact, OSCAR and the SD card will provide more detailed information than is possible using the wireless route.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't gone through all the documentation for the CPAP yet, nor really looked into OSCAR. I am not sure if I have an SD card lying around, but I'll get one.

I am not sure which software they're using, but they said it's transmitted via cell tower. Obviously it's different from OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just make sure to use an SD card that is 32 GB or smaller. You can use one that is as small as 4 GB.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. 

Hypopneas are apnea as are obstructive apnea, flow limits (see my signature to see how apnea is catorgoized. Centrals are also apnea but not obstructive apnea but instead is just not breathing.  You will be given suggestions as to what you can change to get better therapy. 

Take a little time and visit YouTube. Search ResMed 10s autoset. There are some excellent videos on how to set you machine. 
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning everyone,

I am unsure how you want the data, but please see attached for a screenshot. A couple of notes/questions:

- The mask they first gave me was the Dreamwhisp - Didn't really bother me. A bit annoying to set up with my hair though.
- I woke up once during the night to go to the washroom. I initially just unplug the hose from the mask. Came back, and hit stop on my machine in order to reattach it, and then pressed start.
- I tried the machine twice prior to test everything out.

I am not sure how the app tracks this. The start time seems a bit inflated though (should be ~1AM, but the tests were at around 12:30AM).

I just pressed stop and took the SD card out. Should I actually unplug it each night?

I tried to find the actual files on the SD card that came with the machine, but I can't find them for some reason. I was going to copy them to my PC just to save each day.

Couple of comments about sleep itself:
- I only slept for ~6 hours as I ended up going to bed very late. But I don't really feel tired and I felt... "warm and fuzzy" after I woke up for a few minutes. Never had that before or it's been about 15 years. Felt pretty good. I feel pretty good!

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Best place to start is the beginning with a basic OSCAR screenshot. Go back into OSCAR, access Daily Details, then use the F12 key in Windows PC to snap a shot. It'll be saved in the same file area you other shot was saved in.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2021, 08:07 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Best place to start is the beginning with a basic OSCAR screenshot. Go back into OSCAR, access Daily Details, then use the F12 key in Windows PC to snap a shot. It'll be saved in the same file area you other shot was saved in.

Hi,

Please see attached. I also had another screenshot attached above. Let me know if you want the other graphs.

In addition to my questions above, was is the "clear airway event"? I had one of those (purple vertical line). Does this mean I don't normally have a clear airway?

I apologize for so many questions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 229 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.