Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Brand spanking new to CPAP
RE: Brand spanking new to CPAP
So, my latest session looks pretty good, except the mask leakage stat.  Still working on the mask placement to get a good seal.  But, last night shows 3 different sessions. Why..? I usually wake around 6am and take it off to sleep the last 30 minutes without it on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are very brief breaks at 5:30 and 6:30 and the data resumes at the same pressure. I think these are phantom breaks, or as I have come to say, "life with Philips".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I havent said it yet - THANKS to the ones that take the time to read and respond. More accurate and relevant info here than the DME or the doc's office.  

So, last night went to bed very early (for me) at 8PM and woke up around 530.  My AHI is the highest in the last 6 days.  I'm surprised. I woke around 5AM, took the mask off and rolled over to sleep another hour before getting up.  10 mins went by, 15 mins, 20 mins - usually I am asleep by minute 3.  

Ahhh, is this what its like to be fully rested and not fall back asleep instantly..??  So, I cleaned the kitchen, sweeped the floors and played outside with the dogs - before light ..!!  

But, the high AHI count...??? Just wondering..???
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a Phillips Respironics Auto CPAP.  They are a bit slow to respond so we need to adjust its starting pressure so it takes le$ time to adjust to events.

Set your minimum to 12 then post tomorrow and let us know how it went.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My latest results from last night.  

My AHI is back up from around 2 to almost 4 +.  Still not able to read the data to tell why - the obstructive vs. hypopnea is unclear to me.  I understand the obstructive causes may be best treated with a collar, etc. But, the hypopnea seems higher - how address that issue.  Still big leaks. Last night I started with the F20 but switched to the amara view.  Both have leak/fit issues.  Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
Obstructive is treated with pressure, specifically EPAP / exhale pressure.  Collars work for positional Obstructive apnea
Hypopnea is treated with IPAP / Inhale pressure, when PS or IPAP is not available you can increase pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour, 

Got it. Thx. Any thoughts on tweaks to the APAP settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Its only been 2 weeks - but amazingly less tired.  Its a bit of a chore at night but seemingly worth the effort. Before APAP, I would fall asleep in under 60 seconds and would wake up 2x during night for bathroom break - then immediately back to sleep until 8AM and wake up still tired.  Now, I have to mess around with the mask for 10 - 12 minutes to get me and it positioned correctly for good seal and sleep mostly on my back to avoid jostling the mask.  Surprisingly, I'm not waking up for bathroom break anymore with APAP. So, its a trade off - but for sure healthier and safer without the fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
You probably have to get the mask and everything else situated with the light on. After awhile you'll be able to do all this in complete darkness and even half asleep.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,434 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 434 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.