Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Brand spanking new to CPAP
RE: Brand spanking new to CPAP
On this forum there is a Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead written by Roby Sue. It is very good and I wished I had found it last October when I started therapy. Instead I had to ask a million questions on forums to try and get answers to understand the graphs. I am sure a search for it will show the location because I am not sure how I found it or exactly where it is located on this board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look below under "Useful Links -or- When All Else Fails" for the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead, link.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2019, 03:18 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Look below under "Useful Links -or- When All Else Fails" for the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead, link.

Thanks for the links.  Like the OP I'm totally new to all this.   I couldn't figure how to make the SH charts readable on 4k monitor until I looked through one of your links.   Now I'll spend some time looking through RobySue's beginner manual.  I'm sure I'll have some questions as I move along.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
So, 4 weeks on CPAP therapy and seems to be going well.  I think my leak rate continues to be abnormally high, but dont know how to evaluate the percentages on sleepyhead.  

Is there a way to determine why the leak rate is high..??  Mouth open..??  mask slipping during the night..?? Plus AHI seems to be leveled at 3+.  Any way to interpret the statistics to devise ways to get it down lower..??
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2019, 08:47 AM)bhouston350 Wrote: So, 4 weeks on CPAP therapy and seems to be going well.  I think my leak rate continues to be abnormally high, but dont know how to evaluate the percentages on sleepyhead.  

Is there a way to determine why the leak rate is high..??  Mouth open..??  mask slipping during the night..?? Plus AHI seems to be leveled at 3+.  Any way to interpret the statistics to devise ways to get it down lower..??

We need to see daily graphs to show us what’s going on on a breath by breath basis to give recommendations on leaks and pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI major change
So, I have been using CPAP on settings recommended on this board and doing well.  Nightly usage at around 5 - 6  hours each night.  AHI averaging between .85 - 1.7 over the last 85 day span. My biggest impediment has been high leak rate, but I have worked on that issue and improved on mouth opening and mask fit. 

Last night went to bed early (for me) and logged 7.5 hours, but AHI was way out of range - 3.86.    I'm still learning to interpret SH results.  Can anyone determine what may have caused the high AHI occurrence by looking at screenshot..??    Thanx for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI major change
(04-25-2019, 07:06 AM)bhouston350 Wrote: So, I have been using CPAP on settings recommended on this board and doing well.  Nightly usage at around 5 - 6  hours each night.  AHI averaging between .85 - 1.7 over the last 85 day span. My biggest impediment has been high leak rate, but I have worked on that issue and improved on mouth opening and mask fit. 

Last night went to bed early (for me) and logged 7.5 hours, but AHI was way out of range - 3.86.    I'm still learning to interpret SH results.  Can anyone determine what may have caused the high AHI occurrence by looking at screenshot..??    Thanx for any input.

It looks like your DME has connected to your machine remotely and reset your minimum pressure to 5 rather than the min 12 that was working so well for you.  Please contact them or your Dr and insist they do not change your treatment without informing you
Post Reply Post Reply
jaswilliams...

Thx for the observation.  I think I hit the ramp button during the night and it sent pressure down to 5. The settings remain at 12 (min) and 18 (max).
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah ok without your pressure line I was guessing. But based on the amount of hypopnoea I would think more minimum would be needed but let’s see what the next couple of nights bring
Post Reply Post Reply
I continue to progress and feel better based upon advice (and knowledge) gained on this board.  Long ago, I changed my settings on my machine from CPAP 16 (doc's recommendation) to APAP 12-18 (board advice). But now 95% of the time, my pressure readings come out at min 12 and max 16.  So, should I adjust the lower number to 10..??  And, the higher number to 16..?? Thx in advance for any thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,434 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 434 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.