Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Cant get a concrete diagnosis
RE: Cant get a concrete diagnosis
(12-19-2020, 02:36 PM)happydreams Wrote: @Benjy505, in the end it doesn't matter if it is either.  What matters is that you are feeling better.  Follow Sleeprider's instructions.  He's really good at this!  

I've been able to feel a lot better from following guidance here on Apnea Board.  I suffered a long time - and then came here.  Within a few months, I feel like a new person.  Energetic, perky, and no headaches.  That's quite a change from before.  Seriously, follow Sleeprider's instructions.

I will follow the instructions, I'm just worried that the doctor has given me a CPAP because it was an easy option due to be tired. Im worried that i've not even got a sleep disorder and im chasing the wrong solution but i cant decipher from data if theres some abnormal with me
Post Reply Post Reply
There can be many causes to fatigue and not always sleep apnea related. I had an in lab sleep study that showed 0 AHI when my fatigue first started. 4-5 years later had 2 at home one and they showed 5 and 8 AHI which is borderline. Bought my own bipap and experimented with it for a month or two with no improvements in fatigue. Lots of blood work, all normal. 5'11" 155lbs 35yo. Even had nasal surgery to open up my airway because I was sure I had UARS. I've had nasal congestion due to swelling for years. Even though the surgery was a success I still saw no improvement in fatigue. 99% sure I have an autoimmune disease so I will see a rheumatologist about that. Seeing a gastroenterologist first because I have a history of GERD and no I have gut issues. Gut issues are the main cause of autoimmune diseases.

Fatigue started in 2014 and has progressively gotten worse. Diagnosed with GERD in 2007 with a history of bruxism and headaches. I have now developed joint pain in my hands and sometimes now my feet. Butterfly rosacea rash across my nose and cheeks. Plus food sensitivities. All very strong symptoms of an autoimmune disease.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep I'll ditto Min pressure bump to 8. Even if I didn't, the guru has spoken and realistically your resistance was futile, you will have to had obeyed the pressure change. Sorry that's me the sarcastic ONE!

FWIW non-sarcastic stuff to follow this colon: on doc and being concerned he/she will complain, do this, pen to notepad and write your PAP, apnea complaints and symptoms down, include YOU decided to take it upon yourself through (include if you desire) internet PAP and apnea websites to learn apnea treatment suggests edits to default pressure and raising Min from 4 to 8 was a possible solution you initiated and if true better sleep, apnea control, and better comfort resultant upon the pressure change you'd done as a rogue PAPer.

As for this PAP therapy may or may not be prescribed for your apnea or UARS. Does it matter the reason doc scripted the PAP if it helps you feel and sleep better? Just sayin'.

Good day to ya over there across the pond, we shall need to enjoin in virtual tea and crumpets someday. Oh and Apnea Board rule 22 has been agreed upon for you to have an active AB account. You've sworn to never quit. Just sayin'!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your data, there's some issues.  None of which seem insurmountable.  Your flow limit data looks busy, indicating there's some inspiration flow limiting.  It is somewhat similar to what I had.  As Sleeprider noted the tops of your inspiry peaks aren't well rounded.  This can be helped with higher pressures and some pressure relief.  (EPR).

It's a matter of really wanting to feel better or not.  For myself, a few months ago, I decided I didn't have to feel the way I did anymore.  So I changed what I was doing.  I came here and took advice.  I decided I didn't want to be a quitter, I wanted to be successful.  So I followed what people told me.  It worked.  I was successful.  You can be too.  All you need to do is make a couple of changes to your settings and invest some time.  I can assure you, your practitioner's don't feel your pain, nor drowsiness, and don't share your sense of urgency.  If you want change, you have the power to do it.  It only takes a small action on your part, the decision to try it.

As for fear of changing your settings, they really don't care.  If you get better quickly, they can move on to other patients that much more quickly.

Benjy505, it's your choice.  How miserable are you now?  Do you want to continue that way?  If not, then follow Sleeprider's guidance.  He's one of the best that AB has to offer.  I mean it.  Take him up on his offer to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Benjy, UARS and apnea are mostly the same problem on a continuum. You have sleep apnea, but with your machine set to such a low minimum pressure, the apnea is mostly treated, but you continuously cycle above and below the threshold for a stabilizing your airway, or UARS. With auto CPAP we want to identify a minimum pressure that consistently stabilizes that problem, and use the auto pressure function to resolve any issues that arise as you change position, sleep stage or other things that might require an increase in pressure. On the forum, we are not going to diagnose the specifics of your sleep disordered breathing, rather, we will seek to optimize your machine to address the issues that arise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a firm subscriber to Rule 22. "Thou shalt not quit!"

It's not always easy, especially taking the first step. But you have to take your first step to start your journey to better sleep...
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning!

I've changed the settings as guided but unfortunately I've never felt this tired in my life, its effecting my brain function!!

for some unknown reason the machine turned off for nearly 3 hours and it wasn't until I woke up gasping that i could turn it back on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The results you got look great, and I suspect the fatigue or tiredness you feel is a result of the machine shutdown. Are you using the function that automatically turns your machine off when you remove the mask, and back on when it detects breathing (SmartStart)?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Benji505, you took the first step!  Congratulations.  My first night was horrible as well.  I was nearly incapacitated.  Things will get better, much better.  Keep at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2020, 09:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The results you got look great, and I suspect the fatigue or tiredness you feel is a result of the machine shutdown. Are you using the function that automatically turns your machine off when you remove the mask, and back on when it detects breathing (SmartStart)?

Hi, No i've not got that function enabled. Sorry for be a pain but could you give me an explanation of why my results look better than before, I dont know what im looking for!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Diagnosis. Looking for advice and have concerns re: my data bitteroblivion 4 165 04-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,693 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 259 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 225 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 829 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 306 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 968 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.