Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Central Sleep Apnea newbie
RE: Central Sleep Apnea newbie
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but right now, there are only two machines that focus on *treating* CAs - if it doesn't save "ASV" somewhere - you do have a choice! The DME and the sleep Doc are two different offices/people - get the sleep doc to NAME a machine *exactly* on your husband's script - would be my suggestion. Or, shop for a DME more willing to work with you?

My machine had to be ordered special, but only took 72hrs to get - FYI.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
For central apnea, that would be the S9 VPAP Adapt.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...vices.html
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...adapt.html

I would provide a link to the P-R machine but their website is about useless.

Edit to add: Found it finally. Why is it under professionals? Why can't the patient know these things, too?
http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare-so...ep-therapy
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's some more on the VPAP-S http://www.resmed.com.hk/us/assets/docum...-sheet.pdf

This is not the machine you need for treating central apnea. It will detect centrals, but won't treat them. As said above, you need an ASV machine, either the Resmed VPAP Adapt or the equivalent Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 03:27 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but right now, there are only two machines that focus on *treating* CAs - if it doesn't save "ASV" somewhere - you do have a choice! The DME and the sleep Doc are two different offices/people - get the sleep doc to NAME a machine *exactly* on your husband's script - would be my suggestion. Or, shop for a DME more willing to work with you?

My machine had to be ordered special, but only took 72hrs to get - FYI.

Bilevel S/T mode machines are for treating central apnea, but ASV is newer and probably better for most.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Boy, thanks for ya'lls responses. Now, I am starting to get really concerned about what machine they used on my husband at his last sleep study. I called the doctor's office right after reading your replies to inquire what machine they used and are ordering for him. The receptionist is going to have the tech manager call me back. I hope it is just a misunderstanding. I have to say, though, that I was not impressed with his tech at the 2nd study. He was obviously just doing this for the money and his heart was not in it. It worried me some, but I thought he will hopefully just do his job..... When I started asking the tech about the machine(s) they were going to try on my husband, his response was, "This is THE machine." I started asking him about the STs and the ASVs and he wasn't very responsive. When I told him that I joined an apnea forum to learn more about the machines and central apnea, his response was, "How bOring." Thinking-about I was hoping it was as they said and was an ASV machine or the other kind that treats central apnea. I don't want to play around with this. His central apnea is caused by pain medications and I want to make sure it is treated properly. I will let ya'll know what I find out. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 05:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Here's some more on the VPAP-S http://www.resmed.com.hk/us/assets/docum...-sheet.pdf

This is not the machine you need for treating central apnea. It will detect centrals, but won't treat them. As said above, you need an ASV machine, either the Resmed VPAP Adapt or the equivalent Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced.

Crap. That's the machine that they had for him the other night. :/ Well, hopefully it was the adapt and I just didn't see that on the product. I'm trying not to worry until I hear back from the doctor's office. One of the reasons for more concern is that his insurance will change on the 1st so we really need to get all of this done before then. It's crunch time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of them are in it for the money. Their job is to hook someone up, turn on the machines, and watch it run. During a titration, they know when to adjust the pressure (if not an auto). Other than that, yeah, it's just a job. And probably to him, a forum about CPAP machines would be boring!

But, if using the VPAP-S did not relieve the central events, then they have eliminated another thing. And, by eliminating the bilevel, it will be easier for the insurance to pay for the ASV without complaint.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to the tech manager today. She said that the reason the tech wasn't very forthcoming the other night is because they aren't supposed to talk about it. I think it's odd that he can't even share what machine they will be using, but whatever.

Tech manager said they are ordering him a Bipap ST. We are going to request Resmed from the DME because many here seem to like it.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2014, 02:24 PM)amnesiachick Wrote: Tech manager said they are ordering him a Bipap ST. We are going to request Resmed from the DME because many here seem to like it.

Some people go well on the Resmed but others prefer the Philips Respironic. The machines have a quite different "feel" which affects their efficacy. The Resmed is often described as "gentler" but only has limited adjustments. I found the PR was more aggressive but it has a myriad of adjustments which might help in fine-tuning it to a particular patient. Just make sure you have the opportunity to change if the first machine doesn't do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay good idea. Thanks! And I had forgotten about the PR brand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 559 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.