Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Central Sleep Apnea newbie
Central Sleep Apnea newbie
Hi,

I am new to the boards. I have mild obstructive sleep apea. I am writing today, though, because my husband was diagnosed two days ago with severe central sleep apnea. They tried a regular cpap and a bipap machine on him during his sleep study, but they just made his apnea worse. He stopped breathing 117 times per hour that night. He only had one incident of obstructive sleep apnea the whole night. The graph showed central apneas everywhere.

He has another sleep study on Tuesday to try two other machines on him. One has the ST in the name (spontaneous/timed) and the other one is an ASV. I am still learning and this is all kind of scary to me. He has heart issues as well as chronic pain issues due to back injuries.

Any advice or suggestions for us newbies to central apnea? I've been trying to do research as I just want to know as much as I can about this and it's affect on my husband in terms of symptoms and everything else.

Thanks in advance for anything you have to share!

Cassie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Sleep Apnea newbie
Welcome to the board. I'm curious, was the hubby's study performed at home or in a sleep lab? The reason I ask is the lab where I had my titration study performed used equipment that could be remotely adjusted to mimic any type of device needed on the fly. At the end of the study they used the information acquired to determine what type of device I needed.

So much for any advice I have.

Wish him "Good Luck" in his study.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thanks for your response! He was in a sleep lab. They tried a cpap partway through the night and switched to the bipap. Both did worse. I know they tried adjusting the pressures, but to no avail. It worried me that some machines could make it even worse when it is already severe. The doctor said he's pretty sure the ST will work for him, but they have the 4th machine in case it's needed to try.

Thanks again!

(12-11-2014, 12:43 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Welcome to the board. I'm curious, was the hubby's study performed at home or in a sleep lab? The reason I ask is the lab where I had my titration study performed used equipment that could be remotely adjusted to mimic any type of device needed on the fly. At the end of the study they used the information acquired to determine what type of device I needed.

So much for any advice I have.

Wish him "Good Luck" in his study.

Post Reply Post Reply
From what I have gathered from reading other posts, higher inhale pressure is better for an obstructed airway and can make the body respond with an increase in central/clear events. . . basically the body forgets to breath when it encounters a high pressure, like sticking you head out the window of the car as it is speeding down the road. I'm sure my explanation is way over simplified and will be corrected by others but I hope you get the jest.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes perfect sense. Thanks! So I'm guessing the other two machines they are going to try will try not to do that?

(12-11-2014, 01:03 PM)sgearhart Wrote: From what I have gathered from reading other posts, higher inhale pressure is better for an obstructed airway and can make the body respond with an increase in central/clear events. . . basically the body forgets to breath when it encounters a high pressure, like sticking you head out the window of the car as it is speeding down the road. I'm sure my explanation is way over simplified and will be corrected by others but I hope you get the jest.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to have to declare my ignorance at this point. To date I was only aware of the ASV being used. The ST sounds like something used for life support. . . I'm going have to research this device.

Edit: After making this post I looked up the ST and ASV's . Boy! The manufactures really think a lot about those products.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi amnesiachick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more help in understanding Adapt Servo Ventelator, (ASV,) machines. Much success to your husband as he starts his CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish! So that's what it stands for! I wondered.
Sgearhart, yeah they are pretty specialized by the look of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try to get the ASV machine. My impression is that the S/T machine is what they did before they figured out ASV. An S/T mode machine might fix his central apnea, but there's a good chance you'll have to go to ASV anyway.

Don't panic. The ASV machine or even the S/T can be really tough to get used to until your brain stops fighting and lets the machine decide that it's time to inhale. Be supportive and keep trying. Usually, after a while, your brain surrenders to the machine and it becomes comfortable.

The ASV machine has a lot of adjustments in terms of timing and sensitivity to get it dialed in. If you have problems, you may have to insist that they tinker with the settings to find the right settings.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Archangle! I kind of wondered about that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 591 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,520 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.