Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Central Sleep Apnea newbie
RE: Central Sleep Apnea newbie
I have central and the ASV machine works for me!! hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's encouraging! I was so concerned when the doctor said the other 2 machines made him worse. I'm glad there is hope with the other machines!

(12-11-2014, 04:18 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: I have central and the ASV machine works for me!! hang in there.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a long-time user of CPAP, then a bi-level, and just recently switched over to an ASV machine. Because of all my years on my 'dream machine' I had no issue changing over to the ASV, and, it solved all my CAs as well. My AHI is now a very well controlled 2-3, with zero OAs and zero CAs on most nights.

FYI - if by chance your husband needs and takes opiate-type pain meds, those can and will increase the amount of CAs he must deal with. I've been in pain MGNT for multiple years now, and my pain meds is the primary cause (everyone thinks) for my CAs, as in earlier years my primary issues were OAs. Something to think about...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! It's encouraging to hear that your AHI is under control. I can't wait to see how my husband feels after his are under control, too. Did you feel a lot better after treatment started?

My husband does have to take morphine for the pain. The doctor said that's likely the cause, too.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, please remember My OSA was found some 12+ years ago, I've had both nose and throat surgery. When I first went on CPAP I had both right away improvements, and improvements over time. My apnea was so bad pre-CPAP, that I could not eat the first 3-4hrs after waking, never remembered ever dreaming, could go to sleep anywhere at any time, etc

Last year things started going a bit wonky and I started having way more CAs than OAs - waited for Medicare to kick in (July) and went through all the hoops (new study, new titration, etc to finally get my ASV machine.

One reason why the ASV machine is a good idea for an opiate dependant patient is the machine will make sure he continues to breathe even if his brain forgets to tell him to do so. According to my stats, I 'time out' some 17% of the time over the course of a night. Am very pleased now, and so is my lovely wife.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day amnesiachick, welcome to the forum.

An AHI of 117 is very severe so it's important to get the treatment under way and as painlessly as possible. I have an untreated AHI of 62, with about 50% centrals. It needed an ASV machine to treat my apnea, which it does very successfully. I seldom have more than one or two apneas all night.

The two main manufacturers Resmed and Philips Respironics take a very different approach to their ASV machines and many people like one and can't tolerate the other. I think it's important that your husband has the opportunity to switch machines if the first one doesn't suit him. I found the PR machine to be a lot more aggressive in the way it maintains breathing rate, but it has a wide range of adjustments. The Resmed is far more gentle, but has virtually no adjustment - the software does it all for you.

There's a lot to be said for both approaches - personally I found the PR very hard to live with (and it never really got my apnea under control) but I love the Resmed. Other people have had the opposite experience.

Good luck, and best wishes to your husband.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much for your responses. I have learned so much! They moved my husband's sleep study up to last Friday night. The machine they used was actually the S9 VPAP S Machine with H5i Heated Humidifier. The sleep study tech said it is kind of all the machines in one. Husband said it went alright, but there was some awkwardness breathing with it before he fell asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone know anything about this machine: S9 VPAP S Machine with H5i Heated Humidifier? It is likely the machine my husband is getting. The tech said it has all the functions in this machine. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
VPAP-S

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...pap-s.html

It is not for treating central apnea though. It is one of their bilevel PAPs. I don't think it is even an auto.

Quote:S9 VPAP S indications for use
The S9 VPAP S is indicated for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in patients weighing more than 66 lb (30 kg). The S9 VPAP S is intended for home and hospital use
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 07:53 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day amnesiachick, welcome to the forum.

There's a lot to be said for both approaches - personally I found the PR very hard to live with (and it never really got my apnea under control) but I love the Resmed. Other people have had the opposite experience.

Good luck, and best wishes to your husband.

And, here I am on the other side, and this is my first non-Resmed machine too. I've not used both, and suspect I'd be happy with either (after all these years, I sleep through anything) - but I'm digging the PR myself.

I can't stress enough though, getting to 100% compliance as quickly as possible, and, watching for and dealing with any large leaks is important to his overall therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 558 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,516 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.