Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Changing AHI Numbers
Grin 
Changing AHI Numbers
Hello, I find that my AHI numbers go up and down a lot for no reason. My long term number is around 3.30 but I can fluctuate from night to night
and I can go from 1.00 to almost 6.00. I can find no reason for it . I was hoping if I post some of my screenshots somebody could give me some insight
to what may be going on and if it is normal. I have had a cpap machine now for over 4 years. I am using the Dream station pro and the original setting was 10 for pressure
but I have found I had to raise it up over the years to 12 as my apneas were getting worse. This is the first time I have posted anything and I hope it is ok. 
Thanks again in advance for any help.
[attachment=10893]
[attachment=10894]
[attachment=10895]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing AHI Numbers
It appears from the clustering of your apneas that they are associated with your head and neck position. You are probably tucking your chin to your chest at times while asleep which restricts the airway. I and many others who come to the forum have this issue. The solution is a soft cervical collar which prevents chin tucking. You can get one at any pharmacy or on line for $10-12. I've been using one for almost two years and my AHI numbers are much more consistent. The collar is more comfortable than you may think. It doesn't bother me at all. If you need convincing, tak a deep breath and felase it with your chin up and then do the same with your chin down against your chest. You will notice a significant difference.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing AHI Numbers
Thanks, that does make sense as I do know I do like the fetal position at times which would cause me to tuck in my chin.
I would have never thought that would cause a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 273 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.