Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Diagnostic help for Son in law
Diagnostic help for Son in law
My son in law just restarted on an APAP. The AHI isn't bad (2-4) but there are events as he sleeps I don't understand. See images below. Is there a better setting which might help? He's reticent to increase the pressure too much, because at 8 cmH2O his lungs feel "stretched" and hurt in the morning.
Thanks in advance!

Sorry, duplicated the image. Here's the one I meant to post:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diagnostic help for Son in law
Your son in law is using a very narrow range of pressures, I would suggest a max pressure of 20 no need to have that limited to 6.6 the machine won’t go higher than it needs to more pressure is needed unless there is a specific reason the pressure is set so low.

6cm of pressure is very low even if it does not feel like it at the moment. It’s only like blowing bubbles in a glass of water
Post Reply Post Reply
About 1/3 of his Apneas are central.  Based on that he is fine with those settings.  My assumption is that higher pressures may increase his central apnea.

The S9 is an older machine.  What are the total hours on the machine? You bought a new machine right?
Are you self pay or insurance?

Can you post a full copy of the sleep studies.  I would like to see if he had central Apneas then too.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
And yet another opinion...I'm going to fall between the two above. Your son is using a narrow pressure range of 5.5.to 6.6 with an unknown EPR. EPR is clearly on full time and at least 2 cm because the minimum pressure never rises above 4-cm as shown on the Mask pressure line. AHI is acceptable, and primarily obstructive. While there is minor central being reported, we can't really judge if it would increase at higher pressures. My recommendation is to change the pressure range to 6.0 to 10.0 with EPR at 2. This should allow us to see if the OA events can be cleared without increasing CA. I think with this minor increase in pressure range, he can probably achieve an improvement in the results and comfort. The higher minimum pressure should help stabilize the pressure rather than bouncing up and down which can be disruptive. It is important also to hear some feedback on his comfort at these slightly higher pressures.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone, for looking at this. One strange thing: the pressure/air-flow profiles for CA and OA events look identical, as are the many unflagged events. They all look the same, or nearly the same. That's what the zoomed-in graph shows. There is a very small periodic fluctuation in breathing after a hypopnea, but not enough for me to call it periodic breathing. I have EPR set at 3 right now. I'll have him lower that to 2, and I'll bring the min and max up a notch each. I don't want to increase the max to 8 just yet until he gets more used to it. He's probably reading this.

He had a sleep study three years ago, but didn't follow up on the diagnosis. He got the machine used (1400 hrs) from his dad and it was so dirty he didn't really want to use it himself. I helped him clean it up and get back on it every night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FYI: A11 has an acoustic diagnostic sensor Gideon 5 2,858 10-15-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  [Diagnosis] need to read OSCAR diagnostic please help Claudia62 8 621 06-07-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Claudia62
  [Diagnosis] NEW OSA DIAGNOSTIC DEVICE TO HIT USA srlevine1 0 513 05-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question SPO2 Diagnostic Criteria YouTakeMyBreathAway 12 1,401 07-21-2022, 01:37 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  [Diagnosis] Help interpreting diagnostic report rleaman 7 922 05-23-2022, 05:59 PM
Last Post: ThinMountainAir
  Diagnostic ADVICE... 2007User 4 679 05-26-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Seeking Advice. New to Cpap. Diagnostic Study Done Koalapoo 9 1,072 07-24-2020, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.