Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you have central apnea?
This poll is closed.
Little or no central apnea
55.17%
16 55.17%
Significant central apnea: pre-existing
24.14%
7 24.14%
Significant central apnea: treatment emergent
20.69%
6 20.69%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Diagnosis] Do you have central sleep apnea?
Question 
Do you have central sleep apnea?
According to the literature, central apnea is rare. It's so rare in fact that many docs don't even take it into consideration and regard all apnea as obstructive. It would be instructive to find out what proportion of apneacs actually do have central apnea.  In the poll, there are three options:

1. Little or no central apnea - you get at most a couple or three central events per night
2. Significant central apnea: pre-existing - You had central apnea show up in a diagnostic sleep test with a central apnea index greater than 5.0
3. Significant central apnea: treatment emergent - Your central apnea only developed once you started using CPAP / APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you have central sleep apnea?
Very little central sleep apnea. Most nights 0 CA’s.
When I do experience them, it’s pretty low, maybe 2 or 3 a night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:12 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: According to the literature, central apnea is rare. It's so rare in fact that many docs don't even take it into consideration and regard all apnea as obstructive. It would be instructive to find out what proportion of apneacs actually do have central apnea.  In the poll, there are three options:

1. Little or no central apnea - you get at most a couple or three central events per night
2. Significant central apnea: pre-existing - You had central apnea show up in a diagnostic sleep test with a central apnea index greater than 5.0
3. Significant central apnea: treatment emergent - Your central apnea only developed once you started using CPAP / APAP.

That's is very interesting question:
 (3) first time PSG, no machine: zero; second with machine: 8.3/hr.....
...still wondering if significant CA's do exist, outside the world of (a) wrong pressures; (b) wrong combination of EPAPmin x PS; © leaking-associated events; (d) artefacts following arousals/awakenings/wake ups; (e) transition wakeness to sleep, etc. These in general, fortunately, don't wake me up, when I am not already. 
Yet, not sure whether or not CA's would still harm in such cases.

Since I started OSCAR, some 6 months ago, I do see very few true of them (less than 3 to 5; always recounted by myself), except for some two or three bumps associated with  (b) or ©.

It appears to me CA's would be more usefull, and they are, I believe, to signal something is wrong with regard those items above.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Diagnosed as 2.8 central/hr (March 31, 2019); since on VPAP therapy (starting July 17, 2019) I have a median central of 0.9/hr in the 10-25 seconds range. Not sure if some of them are real central though; they may be artifacts of tweaking my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a bit uncertain how to respond. I don't consider myself to be affected by central apnea, however, I typically have between 0.1 and 1.0 CA events per hour. Much of this I suspect is simply sleep or breathing disruptions unrelated to a real central event. So I will stick with little or no CA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had none on my home sleep study. I may get a few per night that are truly treatment-emergent, but most look like sleep/wake junk.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, a very occasional event CA
Post Reply Post Reply
My first overnight sleep study in 2013, listed 10 Central and 10 Obstructive and 3 Mixed, 23 All Apnea, and 94 Hypopnea. My initial diagnosis was Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

My overnight sleep study in 2016, when I was diagnosed with Mixed Sleep Apnea:
1 Obstructive
29 Central
2 Hypopnea
37 RERA

It shows there were some CA existent prior to PAP therapy, but increased after receiving PAP therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost all my events are scored as centrals but they occur while I am awake and are best classified as sleep/wake junk so I chose "little or no CA". I typically register between 2 and 10 per hour (averaged over the night) and are clustered.  When I am awake my respiration rate drops to about 10/min with significant variation triggering many false centrals. This was clearly evidenced during a second overnight sleep study at the sleep clinic.  I now ignore them all as there is no correlation with how rested I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
significant central apnea, prexisting. my first diagnosis was predominantly central apnea, which is to say all central. 30 years & 40 pounds later my dx is obstructive despite 48% central in latest sleep test, which sounds significant to me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 559 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.