Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Does it make sense ?
Does it make sense ?
Hey guys.  I don't know if it makes any sense , my weight is healthy , my height is healthy ,i'm healthy in general , my sleep results says i have obstructive sleep apnea and sleep apnea , but my RDI Total is bigger then my total events of sleep apnea ,

I personally feel i don't have any physical sourse or anatomical sourse that causes breathing problems, but just shortness of breath or asthma , 

Do this kind of respiratory problems usually appear as obstructive sleep apnea in the data sheet?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does it make sense ?
Because of the different ways that Respiratory Disturbance ans Apnea are defined, it is common for the RDI to be greater than the AHI.

If my math is right, your sleep time was 9 hours, and you had 590 A+H events, giving an AHI of approximately 65 - which is Severe.

Regardless of whether or not you see any reason for it, you do have sleep apnea, which, if left untreated, can lead to high blood pressure, kidney problems, and heart problems, to say nothing of daytime sleepiness.

Fortunately, yours looks to be uncomplicated, and can be treated very well by the ResMed AirSense (10 or 11) Autoset.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2022, 08:24 AM)AdamHoffman Wrote: Hey guys.  I don't know if it makes any sense , my weight is healthy , my height is healthy ,i'm healthy in general , my sleep results says i have obstructive sleep apnea and sleep apnea ,

Overweight people can have too much fatty tissue around the upper airway, causing it to collapse during sleep. This is called obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and is the most common type of sleep disordered breathing.

But being overweight is not the only reason that the airway can collapse. It could be that, due to your particular anatomy, you have a narrow upper airway. When you fall asleep the muscles that hold your airway open relax, your airway collapses causing you to awaken so you can breathe. OSA. This is happening to you roughly 65 times an hour, or about once every minute. If you don't do anything to treat it you will eventually kill yourself. But not before leading a miserable, and shortened, sleep-deprived life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
But my bmi doesnt fit having severe sleep apnea ... also isn't the date supposed to be hourly written usually? Like instead 590 , 65?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a misconception that only heavy folk have sleep apnea.  

Even doctors fall into this misconception and often ignore thin folk with the possibility of having SA.  

No one knows what causes SA, but ignoring it can and will have cumulative negative effects on your health over time.  

An AHI of 65 is severe. You slept 9 hours, with 203 Obstructives, 387 Hypopnea,
and 0 Clear Airway when averaged equals an AHI of 65. (This is hourly)

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2022, 08:09 AM)AdamHoffman Wrote: But my bmi doesnt fit having severe sleep apnea ...

There is no such thing as a BMI that "fits" having sleep apnea.

Quote:also isn't the date supposed to be hourly written usually? Like instead 590 , 65?

65 events per hour.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My stepdaughter was diagnosed with OSA 13 years ago. She is now in her mid-40s, marathon runner with a low BMI. She is in incredible shape yet her OSA was much worse than mine when tested. She had difficulty accepting the diagnosis and it doing brilliantly on CPAP therapy. It has made a world of difference in her life.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 216 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,417 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 563 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.