Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you told your boss about your sleep apnea?
This poll is closed.
Yes; while already employed (voluntary)
61.11%
11 61.11%
Yes; I am required.
0%
0 0%
Yes; during the interview. I was qualified but NOT hired.
0%
0 0%
Yes; during the interview. I was hired.
0%
0 0%
No
38.89%
7 38.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Diagnosis] Does your boss know?
Gross 
Does your boss know?
It's a frustrating topic, so I think the crazy/bug-eyed smiley is appropriate.

I'm curious to know how many folks have informed a boss / employer or client (if self employed) of their sleep apnea? Has anyone told their boss during a job interview? How did it go?

I understand some jobs may require it. I've seen a thread about DOT compliance requirements for commercial drivers. What about desk jobs? What if your job is, say, a computer programmer?

I'm tempted to say that unless you have a job with high risk or you are in a position to put others at risk, or you cannot be functional on a daily basis, then it's not necessary. However, even with mild OSA, I think we all have our bad mornings once in a while... and it may become self-evident at work. For example, although I don't doze off personally I have coworkers that fall asleep in meetings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does your boss know?
Until you are diagnosed, you don't know - so you can't tell them.

After you are diagnosed, you shouldn't feel any obligation to tell them as long as you are treating it. Non apneacs have bad nights too, no one I know of has yet to suggest disclosure to the boss that your neighbor has a dog that barks all night.

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I told my boss right after I was diagnosed and had to start traveling with a cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 02:41 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Non apneacs have bad nights too, no one I know of has yet to suggest disclosure to the boss that your neighbor has a dog that barks all night.

True, but if it were a chronic issue then it would show and it would affect your performance review. When / if it came up, you'd need to say something.

Hmm... "my neighbor's dog barks all night" might be one to keep handy Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
My boss was the one who insisted I get a sleep test in the first place. I sleep with my boss, 'ya know.

Too-funnyEat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
"Reasonable Accommodations" and all that aside, there's no reason to tell your boss UNLESS you are required by law to do so. That would be what was mentioned above in terms of DOT and the like.

If you get your medical insurance through them, they probably know already.

I am kinda self employed as a writer. My publisher knows because we shared a room once at a conference. I didn't have the diagnosis when I worked "real" jobs. Although at a group home where I worked at night, I was told I was scaring one of the guys which is why he would wake up and sing old gospel songs. I would wake up hearing "Are You Washed in the Blood" through the air vents.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a computer programmer and would never disclose sleep apnea to my clients. Funny enough I am actually in this line of work partly because of my sleep issues: I learned to program being awake late at night as a teenager with nothing else to do, and continued on with it because freelance programming is compatible with my terrible sleep schedule. Now that I'm getting treated (mostly successfully) I guess I could do something else, but hey.
Post Reply Post Reply
I informed my manager and after i told him the symptoms I was experiencing to make me have a sleep study, he actually booked one himself and found he also had OSA. He is now on a trail machine and he's told me his blood pressure has dropped down to a normal area, he's now considering reducing or iliminating his meds. IMO, anytime you can get yourself off the pharmicudicals, that's a good thing!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Being my own boss for the last 40 years, some how my boss found out about my CPAP.
I think I may have been eves dropping when I got my sleep study results.
Or maybe it was at my first DME meeting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2013, 10:43 PM)bwexler Wrote: Being my own boss for the last 40 years, some how my boss found out about my CPAP.
I think I may have been eves dropping when I got my sleep study results.
Or maybe it was at my first DME meeting.

Personally, I did not feel that it is necessary to share during the job interview. However, overtime I found myself sharing both my success and sometimes struggles with OSA. I found my boss did not know much about it and it was a great way to educate colleagues about this very serious and sometimes silent disease that often is not spoken of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleeping like a boss! With ONE big caveat PappinLikeABoss 8 2,236 03-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.