Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Erratic AHI
Erratic AHI
        [attachment=44504][attachment=44505][attachment=44504][attachment=44504][attachment=44504]My results continue to be erratic and lately have become confusing.  My AHI can range from a low of 1.7 to lately 7.7 AHI and I've become kind of lost in knowing whether it's my sleep patterns, positions or mask adjustments.  New cushions can last from 1.5 weeks to a record of 6 weeks. I've tried different masks (Amara View, F&P Vitera) with the same results.  New F&P Evora on order.  Below are two representative OSCAR graphs of the latest low and high.  I move around a lot and usually start off on my back and then shift back and forth threw the night. I also get up 2 or 3 times a night.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or observations.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Erratic AHI
Both nights have some positional apnea. You can see them when you look at the Oa and H events that are grouped together.

Positional apnea is when you get into a position where you cut off your own airway. It can NOT be treated by pressure changes - you have to find a way to stay out of that position.

Many people have positional apnea when sleeping on their back. It is also known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your Sternum.

If you can’t control it by sleep position only you may need a collar. I have a link it collars in my signature.

Also I would suggest you use EPR 3 full time. That will help your flow limits which are smaller apneas.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is 3 full time.  I always start off sleeping on my back and after breaks and the numbers are always very good during the first half hour or so until I start side sleeping.  My F30i mask is problematic for side sleeping and I'm always adjusting the seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping on your back is not preferred because more apnea events tend to happen then. Right side is best. Maybe you need a new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Erratic flow rate jsmdz 0 256 01-27-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: jsmdz
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 252 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
Question [Treatment] Low AHI but erratic flowrates, often still fatigued sancardinal15 12 1,323 06-21-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
Question Erratic Leak Rates.... Patrish42 2 639 08-11-2022, 10:57 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Erratic pressure flow Alison 11 1,412 02-23-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Alison
  erratic vs calm oxygen waveform crave303 13 1,535 02-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Last Post: crave303

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.