Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Failed the Titration test last night
RE: Failed the Titration test last night
Sending you a PM...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Lots of ideas and dos and don'ts. It seems the hardest part of adjusting to this whole thing is getting thru the Titration test. All those wires, strange environment and anxiety make for a long night. I am VERY motivated to make this work and you all have me motivated. THANKS ...and I mean a BIG THANKS. I don't feel alone on here and I am so glad to have found this site.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first night sleep study was enough for me to know that I would need some medicinal help for the titration study. I just couldn't do another night in the lab. It was that bad the first time. A couple others have posted about doing a home titration. That's what I ended up doing and it worked out well for me. I still needed a couple nights on generic ambien to break the insomnia cycle and be able to get through the mask feel, but now it's going as well as it can.

Lots of great folks on here and they'll help any way they can.

Good luck on your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 05:58 PM)broskyf Wrote: Wow. Lots of ideas and dos and don'ts. It seems the hardest part of adjusting to this whole thing is getting thru the Titration test. All those wires, strange environment and anxiety make for a long night. I am VERY motivated to make this work and you all have me motivated. THANKS ...and I mean a BIG THANKS. I don't feel alone on here and I am so glad to have found this site.

it will be hard to feel alone b/c we won't leave you alone lol

since you are anxious about your titration, when you look at masks to adjust to before your titration, look seriously at nasal masks and nasal pillows.

my sleep lab where I had my last sleep study brought me 11 masks to look at and gave me a chin strap since I chose the wisp and am a mouth breather. I had a few weeks to adjust to it before my last sleep study. IMHO, they went above and beyond what I have experienced in my other sleep studies (I have had 4 now but one was a long time ago and it was not a good experience and I never used the machine I was given). A recent sleep study I had just before my last one, I was thirsty and I had my water with me and the tech didn't even want me to sit up and get a drink. She went and got a straw and expected me to drink water laying down which I refused to do. My last one restored my faith. This DME is not all about money as they are out of network with my insurance company but are only going to charge me the in network %. They have scored really high from the first time I had any dealings with them and it has remained that way all the way through getting my new machine. I am looking forward to going to sleep at night now with my new machine and a mask that is working well for me. A good tech, DME and RT makes a big difference to us and makes this hosehead experience much better. I am now very fortunate to have such a good DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, I really hate the word "failed" in this context. So you went in for the test, highly motivated but understandably anxious. You had an ear infection and stuffed sinuses. You overcame your anxiety and gave it your best shot, but the system wasn't able to adapt to your circumstances. If anybody failed it was the sleep lab who weren't fully equipped to deal with your situation. But really - nobody failed. It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

A very big part of PAP therapy is getting the mask that's right for you. There are dozens of makes, models and sizes out there, and most people go through several until they get the right one. I'm on mask number 5 and considering changing it. It's great that you've got the opportunity to try out some masks before your next study. Don't be afraid to try different ones until you get one that's right for you. Wear your mask while reading or watching TV so you get accustomed to it and the claustrophobia will go away.

Don't worry if you feel you have to take it off - everybody goes through that phase. I've been at this since August, and most nights I pull the mask off. She Who Must be Obeyed has become very adept at noticing if I'm not wearing it and gives me a nudge. (She says I snore, but I've never heard myself snore so that can't be the case Smile ) The main thing is as soon as you're aware it's off - PUT IT BACK ON. It's like falling off a horse - just get right back on. Eventually it will come good.

Now that you've been through the process you'll know what to expect next time. Your anxiety levels will be way down, your infection will be cleared up, and you'll have a mask that you're comfortable with. Apart from that, you've quit smoking, reduced your alcohol and taken up exercise - you've already achieved a huge amount. Everything points to success.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi broskyf,
What DeepBreathing said.
Better luck next time and don't beat yourself up so much about this, just keep on trying..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 09:15 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Frank, I really hate the word "failed" in this context. So you went in for the test, highly motivated but understandably anxious. You had an ear infection and stuffed sinuses. You overcame your anxiety and gave it your best shot, but the system wasn't able to adapt to your circumstances. If anybody failed it was the sleep lab who weren't fully equipped to deal with your situation. But really - nobody failed. It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

A very big part of PAP therapy is getting the mask that's right for you. There are dozens of makes, models and sizes out there, and most people go through several until they get the right one. I'm on mask number 5 and considering changing it. It's great that you've got the opportunity to try out some masks before your next study. Don't be afraid to try different ones until you get one that's right for you. Wear your mask while reading or watching TV so you get accustomed to it and the claustrophobia will go away.

Don't worry if you feel you have to take it off - everybody goes through that phase. I've been at this since August, and most nights I pull the mask off. She Who Must be Obeyed has become very adept at noticing if I'm not wearing it and gives me a nudge. (She says I snore, but I've never heard myself snore so that can't be the case Smile ) The main thing is as soon as you're aware it's off - PUT IT BACK ON. It's like falling off a horse - just get right back on. Eventually it will come good.

Now that you've been through the process you'll know what to expect next time. Your anxiety levels will be way down, your infection will be cleared up, and you'll have a mask that you're comfortable with. Apart from that, you've quit smoking, reduced your alcohol and taken up exercise - you've already achieved a huge amount. Everything points to success.

(INSERT LIKE BUTTON HERE)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
^^ AGREE ^^
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO, failure is when a person knows they have OSA and refuses to use the CPAP machine. As long as one tries, as Frank has been, that is not failing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 97 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 281 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.