Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Finally had my first Sleep Study! How bad am I?
Question 
Finally had my first Sleep Study! How bad am I?
Finally had my sleep study and got my study results today!

My doctor said it was unusual because I basically had a mild amount of apnea the entire night - except when I went to REM sleep, where my AHI jumped to 47.2! And during the REM periods, my oxygen desaturations fell into the 70% range! (My AHI for the entire night came to 16.)

AHI 47.2, OSA 33.4, CSA 11.8

My questions:
1. I've heard anything over 30 AHI is severe, but how severe is 41 & 47?
2. How bad is 70% oxygen?
3. What does this all mean?

Thank you! Shy
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally had my first Sleep Study! How bad am I?
My doctor told me that highest he's personally seen is 135 AHI. I was 67. An AHI of 41 or 47 means you are waking that many times an hour even if not to fully awake. I never got as low as 70% in my study, even with more apneas than you.

Only your doctor can tell you what it means, but based on what little I know, you're headed for some form of sleep apnea treatment. Severe is severe, after all.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was 119 , basically every 30 seconds etc - I will have to dig out my report for the other numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are kindof average for severe, but hey, you are severe. So, definitely need that cpap. The 70% long term would give you a lot of health problems. But, they will look at it after you have the cpap or bipap hooked up to determine if they can get you into the 90s. If you are <88% oxygen with therapy, then I think they start looking at a bipap for higher pressures.

I'm a newbie but at looking at a lot of posts, some folks with pretty severe apnea respond to cpap or bipap pretty darn well. I was really surprised that some with severe are actually maintained on fairly low pressures.

I liked that. Reformed CPap Outlaw. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I would confirm what Mosquitobait postulated. I had 45 AHIs/hr (severe OSA) and am consistently <1 AHI for an entire night with very low CPAP pressure range 4-6. CPAP will be your best friend!
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2015, 08:12 PM)Ailu Wrote: Finally had my sleep study and got my study results today!

My doctor said it was unusual because I basically had a mild amount of apnea the entire night - except when I went to REM sleep, where my AHI jumped to 47.2! And during the REM periods, my oxygen desaturations fell into the 70% range! (My AHI for the entire night came to 16.)

AHI 47.2, OSA 33.4, CSA 11.8

My questions:

Thank you! Shy

It means you are unable to sleep and breathe at the same time. Your brain keeps waking your body up so it can breathe. This is doing two things to you.

1. It's preventing you from getting the rest you need to lead life to the fullest. Here are some of the symptoms you may be experiencing: Impaired cognition. You're tired all the time, you get grouchy, nervous, and sex just isn't as good as it used to be. Sometimes these symptoms have developed so slowly over time that we don't notice them. But once we treat the ailment and start getting the sleep we need then we start to see how bad they really were.

2. You have an elevated risk of high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.

Medical professionals make these classifications of mild, moderate, and severe so they can use statistical analysis in their research on the ailment. You are not a statistic, you are a single human being in need of help. It wouldn't matter if your diagnosis was mild, severe, or more severe than 87.2% of the population because the action you need to take would be the same.

What does your doctor want you to do next?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(06-08-2015, 08:12 PM)Ailu Wrote: AHI 47.2, OSA 33.4, CSA 11.8

My questions:

Thank you! Shy

My numbers were similar and these numbers are not to be ignored. With treatment mine are back in the awesome range and it's likely that yours will be as well. BUT...

What this really means is that you are going to feel marvelous once you get your treatment started and dialed in. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks soo much everyone for your replies!!! I am exhausted and sleepy all the time, and never feel like I have enough air in my lungs! So I really look forward to getting my CPAP!
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was above 60. With CPAP (A10) it averages around 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was 88 and my O2 saturation was 54%. I feel asleep at work while talking to a customer on the phone. Thats what prompted me to get a sleep study. Getting a BiPap was the best decision I ever made. My average AHI now is less than 1 per night.

Once you get used to your mask, your life will change for the better!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,032 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.