[Diagnosis] Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

RE: Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
Your BEST bet is to go to the office and get a copy of the raw study and results BEFORE your appointment with the sleep doctor. Don't let the office give you crap about it. Any decent office has it scored and ready within 3 days or so and certainly several days before the doctor's appointment. It's impossible to formulate sensible questions in the 3 minutes after the doctor wings this study in your face, says 8 sentences and pushes you out the door. Given that you will then be expected to spend hundreds of dollars (yours or the insurance company's), you want to be able to feel confident in your information.
11-02-2015 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

RE: Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
(10-29-2015 10:09 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote:  BTW, can I actually ask my doctor to specify a specific model on the script? I read a suggestion elsewhere to get very specific on the script, such as:

1] ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
2] Patient access to Efficacy and Usage Data
3] ClimateLineAir™ Heated Tube
4] Filter
5] Mask of patient's choice
6] Pressure range between [x] and [y] (even if static CPAP recommended)
6] Dispense as written

Do doctors usually accommodate such a specific ask?

I met with a PA the second time. While the doctor had a specific pressure listed, she looked at my data from Sleepyhead and the used machine I had acquired and recommended a range instead. If I need to go above 12, they want to hear about it.

In general, you need a different pressure if you are on your back vs. your side, so an automachine is better for MOST people. The only exception that I have seen are those patients who simply find themselves doing better with a single pressure and those who may have blood pressure issues (the change of pressure changes blood pressure which can be hard on heart).
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 12:41 PM by Mosquitobait.)
11-02-2015 12:36 PM
StoopidMonkey81 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Integrated + ClimateLineAir Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9.8-14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Started therapy November 20, 2015

Sex: Male

OK, out of the appointment with a copy of the sleep study. The recommendation is for CPAP at 8cmH2O. I tried to get the script written as previously discussed but he was very hesitant (and likely inexperienced in) writing the script like that. The compromise was that, in addition to CPAP @ 8CM and the specific mask I wore (AirFit F10), he wrote "If possible, issue Autopap machine that can be set at 8cm". I'll see where that gets me once my insurance approves the claim and I go DME hunting.

As for the study itself, once they finally ramped the machine to 8 they got me down to 0 AHI and an oxyhemoglobin saturation of 91+%. If there's any other pertinent information that anybody is curious about or something I need to clear up with my insurance before I shop for equipment, let me know!
11-02-2015 05:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sleep latency -study results Dagmar 1 53 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Last Post: chill
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 300 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 235 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 441 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 316 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 356 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Finished my first CPAP night rjbbjr 6 344 11-10-2016 04:14 AM
Last Post: holden4th