Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
RE: Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
Your BEST bet is to go to the office and get a copy of the raw study and results BEFORE your appointment with the sleep doctor. Don't let the office give you crap about it. Any decent office has it scored and ready within 3 days or so and certainly several days before the doctor's appointment. It's impossible to formulate sensible questions in the 3 minutes after the doctor wings this study in your face, says 8 sentences and pushes you out the door. Given that you will then be expected to spend hundreds of dollars (yours or the insurance company's), you want to be able to feel confident in your information.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finished the First Sleep Study: What questions to ask my ENT for the follow-up?
(10-29-2015, 10:09 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: BTW, can I actually ask my doctor to specify a specific model on the script? I read a suggestion elsewhere to get very specific on the script, such as:

1] ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
2] Patient access to Efficacy and Usage Data
3] ClimateLineAir™ Heated Tube
4] Filter
5] Mask of patient's choice
6] Pressure range between [x] and [y] (even if static CPAP recommended)
6] Dispense as written

Do doctors usually accommodate such a specific ask?

I met with a PA the second time. While the doctor had a specific pressure listed, she looked at my data from Sleepyhead and the used machine I had acquired and recommended a range instead. If I need to go above 12, they want to hear about it.

In general, you need a different pressure if you are on your back vs. your side, so an automachine is better for MOST people. The only exception that I have seen are those patients who simply find themselves doing better with a single pressure and those who may have blood pressure issues (the change of pressure changes blood pressure which can be hard on heart).
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, out of the appointment with a copy of the sleep study. The recommendation is for CPAP at 8cmH2O. I tried to get the script written as previously discussed but he was very hesitant (and likely inexperienced in) writing the script like that. The compromise was that, in addition to CPAP @ 8CM and the specific mask I wore (AirFit F10), he wrote "If possible, issue Autopap machine that can be set at 8cm". I'll see where that gets me once my insurance approves the claim and I go DME hunting.

As for the study itself, once they finally ramped the machine to 8 they got me down to 0 AHI and an oxyhemoglobin saturation of 91+%. If there's any other pertinent information that anybody is curious about or something I need to clear up with my insurance before I shop for equipment, let me know!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.