Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Getting back on CPAP. Unemployed and bad insurance
Getting back on CPAP. Unemployed and bad insurance
Can I get in CPAP without an overnight study??   Help!!

I was diagnosed with mild apnea in 2011 and went on CPAP
I gave my machine to a brother-in-law who is very obese and really needed it (he was uninsured and lacking work)

Now, I'm feeling worse and 15 pounds heavier.   I used to drink and chalked up fatigue to wine.   Now that I've dropped that, I'm back to trying to get on CPAP

An at home study was inconclusive and $600.  A week from now, an overnight study will run $1500 and any appointment fees plus buying the machine!!

I'm unemployed, have a high deductible on our new insurance ($4000). 

Sick and tired and everyday seems to require a nap
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting back on CPAP. Unemployed and bad insurance
Search Amazon for either the Respironics Dreamstation Auto 500 ($377), or the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset ($458). Add the mask of your choice and you're done. Sellers on Amazon and some other outlets won't ask for a prescription, however, if you have any records or copies of your sleep study, prescription etc from your previous use, that will probably be valid at any online supplier. See the Apneaboard Supplier list Supplier #1 and others. These machines are top of the line auto CPAPs that will help you to self-titrate your pressure using data and automatic adjustment. We can help.

There really is not any need to take another test. If you have a primary care doctor, you can relate your symptoms and prior prescription and he could issue a new prescription for CPAP and supplies. You were previously diagnosed, and your problem did not go away. If you're ready for treatment now and are motivated to get your own equipment, then your doctor should be willing to help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Itsjustme8,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!   I've been dealing with a comedy of errors for the past few months.   I just placed my order and the machine will come this week.   Also, since I was diagnosed in the past, I just "saved" $1500 for the overnight study and probably another $200 in dr appointments
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 07:26 PM)Itsjustme8 Wrote: Can I get in CPAP without an overnight study??   Help!!

I was diagnosed with mild apnea in 2011 and went on CPAP
I gave my machine to a brother-in-law who is very obese and really needed it (he was uninsured and lacking work)

Now, I'm feeling worse and 15 pounds heavier.   I used to drink and chalked up fatigue to wine.   Now that I've dropped that, I'm back to trying to get on CPAP

An at home study was inconclusive and $600.  A week from now, an overnight study will run $1500 and any appointment fees plus buying the machine!!

I'm unemployed, have a high deductible on our new insurance ($4000). 

Sick and tired and everyday seems to require a nap

Commercial Link Removed.  Check Supplier #2 if you are short of some cash.
They do give a warranty with their machines and they are tested.

I do not have anything to do with this company.
They came recommended even over here.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!   I've been dealing with a comedy of errors for the past few months.   I just placed my order and the machine will come this week.   Also, since I was diagnosed in the past, I just "saved" $1500 for the overnight study and probably another $200 in dr appointments
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2017, 09:39 AM)Itsjustme8 Wrote: Thank you!   I've been dealing with a comedy of errors for the past few months.   I just placed my order and the machine will come this week.   Also, since I was diagnosed in the past, I just "saved" $1500 for the overnight study and probably another $200 in dr appointments

I'm glad to hear things are working out.  Which machine did you order?  Remember to keep your prescriptions and any sleep studies in  a safe place.  They will continue to save you money.  You can use your primary doctor as your "sleep doctor". Just discuss your CPAP use with him every year when you go in for routine care.  That way, if you ever need an update to your Rx, he can probably help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto with a Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow mask.   

The mask came yesterday and the Resmed should come today.  I've watched some YouTube videos to see how to set the machine.  I may come back with another thread as I get going and adjust settings
Post Reply Post Reply
You can obtain the full clinical manual with lots of details to help you with the machine and interpreting the data by following the link to CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of the page. This information goes way beyond the youtube videos. Congrats on getting the best auto CPAP at a fair price.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.