Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Getting tested
Getting tested
Hello All,

For about the past year various people have told me that they hear me stop breathing for a realtively long period of time at night and wake up gasping for air. Even before that, I had people tell me I snored extremely loud. I have not been tested as I am on a high deductible plan so I essentially do not have healthcare. I may have found a possible solution with home studies. I am looking at this one which gets me a prescription plus 15% discount on a device. Does this place sound OK and are the lower cost devices good enough to provide relief?
800 cpap. I emailed them and they assured me 249 plus the device (if I test positive) is the final cost.

Just dont want to be scammed considering I do not have much money for errors.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting tested
It sure sounds like you are one of us!  For $200 more you can get a top of the Resmed AirSense or Phillips DreamStation from Amazon.  No prescription needed.  We can help you dial it in.  I don't see much of a point in having a test when you know what is wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
You must buy a machine that reports detailed data and is compatible with SleepyHead software. I have a Dreamstation and love it, I think you should get the APAP model.

The machine attempts to auto-adjust to the user, but the algorithm isn't perfect. Examining results with SleepyHead will allow fine tuning of the low and high pressure. This tuning will improve your chances for success.

At this point I think it's medical malpractice to even sell fixed CPAP machines. The APAP ones are so much better. Also malpractice to just throw a machine at a user and equate success to an AHI below 5.0. With some tuning results can sometimes be much better. That's my personal experience, anyway.

As to the Dreamstation, depending on your climate you may need a humidifier. I don't have the model info handy, perhaps someone else here can make sure you buy a machine with APAP and with a humidifier. There are equivalent products from Resmed, perhaps someone will chime in about those.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyDude454,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you start your CPAP journey, Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New home sleep study device found - Contec RS10, has anybody tested it??? djrem3000 0 789 05-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: djrem3000
  Just finished home study, but question about which CPAP test machine I tested? vroomvroom 16 2,434 02-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Last Post: vroomvroom
  Tested wife with CPAP. Josephdfco 3 1,148 04-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
Arrow [News] New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members SuperSleeper 24 8,185 11-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  tested wife last night, AHI of 6.39 should I be worried? space45 12 3,886 03-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Last Post: me50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.