Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Got my results and am now afraid to go to sleep
RE: Got my results and am now afraid to go to sleep
(04-26-2012, 10:22 AM)EPSAHM2 Wrote: .....AND, I know I sleep with my mouth open and would have air leak out my mouth.

Open mouths are easily closed with an appropriate chin strap. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 11:11 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 10:22 AM)EPSAHM2 Wrote: .....AND, I know I sleep with my mouth open and would have air leak out my mouth.

I do understand my options. I still would prefer the full mask. The nose ones are not comfortable to me. Thank you for your opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggested to my doctor that he not use phrases like "I'm very concerned" and "It's pretty bad" until the follow up visit where he explains the results of the titration study and writes the prescription. It makes the waiting, and goodness knows there's plenty of waiting, an anxious time. At some point during my last two weeks of waiting it finally occurred to me that if it were REEEALLY bad, they would probably have rushed me onto a machine. End of that anxiety and beginning of "What's taking so long? I really want to begin therapy and start feeling better!!" Ah well... It's always something!

Suzanne
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 11:11 AM)bobg1946 Wrote: Open mouths are easily closed with an appropriate chin strap. oldman

I respectfully disagree with your statement, especially the word "easily". I've been a mouth breather all my life and a chin strap didn't fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 01:45 PM)projman65 Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 11:11 AM)bobg1946 Wrote: Open mouths are easily closed with an appropriate chin strap. oldman

I respectfully disagree with your statement, especially the word "easily". I've been a mouth breather all my life and a chin strap didn't fix it.

Amen, projman65! Wouldn't work for me, either, and then there is the issue of claustrophobia, easily dismissed by all not afflicted, which precludes such a contrivance. A full face mask is frequently the ONLY way to go.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 12:23 PM)EPSAHM2 Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 11:11 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:

I do understand my options. I still would prefer the full mask. The nose ones are not comfortable to me. Thank you for your opinions.

And you are so right, epashm2! Get other's opinions, but ignore them when appropriate. That is how we advance in both knowledge and skills.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think in many of these types of situations, it's not so much that one person is wrong and another is right...

Rather, it's all based upon the individual's experience and what works for them. There's too many individual variables involved, so one solution may work perfectly for some, and never work for others. Doesn't mean anyone's right or wrong here.

We're all in the same boat trying find solutions to our problems, and if we've found a solution that works for us, we're generally happy to recommend that solution to others, but we also realize that the solutions that worked for us may not work for everyone... that's what this forum is about - free exchange of ideas so we, as sleep apnea patients, can help one another the best we can.

Coffee

...not sure why I wrote all that... but there it is, nonetheless. oldman
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 04:47 PM)JumpStart Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 01:45 PM)projman65 Wrote:

Amen, projman65! Wouldn't work for me, either, and then there is the issue of claustrophobia, easily dismissed by all not afflicted, which precludes such a contrivance. A full face mask is frequently the ONLY way to go.

Hmm, the (deluxe) chin straps I've used over the years have definitely kept my mouth closed; I just couldn't live with the pressure the !#$#%^ things put on the top of my head. Oh-jeez Which is why I use a nasal pillow mask with a built-in chin strap.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2012, 09:25 PM)EPSAHM2 Wrote: But, I suppose, my question is.....WHY arnt they moving faster to get me a machine. I am so scared to fall asleep....that tonight will be the night I stop breathing and NOT wake myself up (which I had no Idea was happening anyway).
Is this a normal feeling after getting results?

Yes, this was the same feeling I had when I was diagnosed. I was even afraid to take a sleeping pill for fear it would prevent me from waking up out of an apnea.

The reason they allow you to wait for your machine is because they know you been surviving this long with sleep apnea and will continue to do so until you get your machine.

You can call the sleep center and ask them if you've gotten your results and summary prepared by their doctor. Once you prompt them to get that done, you then call your doctor to see if the report's been faxed to them. Then you doctor gives you the results, and sets you up for another sleep study called a titration where you ten start the same process again, getting the results to you doctor. Then you get your machine.

Then you have to acclimate to your machine. That goes easier for some, harder for others.

You will get through it an you get used to CPAP therapy. I did it. You can do it. And everyone is here to help you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know how you feel went for the first study, received a call to come in to see the doctor "any time that I could make it, they would fit me in", was put on the emergency titration list where they told me that I stopped breathing ~70 times an hour and it was only that low because I stopped for up to 67 seconds. And then I had to wait a week and a half before the doctor sent the paperwork to the DME for a loaner. I thought that I was tired before, I worried myself silly in those 10 days. Thinking back I would have still gone on as before if I had not had the study in the first place. The main change is both my wife and I get much more sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 134 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 184 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,181 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.