Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Got the bad news today.
RE: Got the bad news today.
I too thought whoa is me...Until I actually tried CPAP.  I settled on the Airfit P10 and never looked back.  Got used to the hose and won't sleep without it now.  Seriously....I'd cry if I didn't have it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2018, 03:16 PM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: ...Being claustrophobic, I cannot image sleeping with a mask on...

That seems to be a pretty common problem/phobia. 2 out of 3 of the sleep doctors that I've seen actually have programs designed to help people overcome that. Maybe the 3rd does too, the topic never came up.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was initially diagnosed 30 years ago I wasn't dismayed. As my doctor explained the treatment in store, he assured me that I would find relief from my symptoms. My wife had complained of my snoring, nightmares and stopping of breathing, and had bullied me into seeking some sort of treatment. Then (in 1988) CPAP was really in its infancy and so far as I knew, the only readily available machine was the  old Healthdyne with   no bells and whistles , not even a runtime meter. But it worked, and resolved my illness.

My doctor (A neurologist  at a nationally known med center) assured me that though it is a serious condition it does not require any surgery, radiation treatments, nor a pharmacists delight of medications. Just a little air pumping machine and an admittedly awkward mask. It did require some suffering through the masks in use then, but within a very few weeks i was "addicted" to feeling better and SAFER because I had been dozing off as I drove. I realize that a lot of patients abandon CPAP before they complete their learning curve. I can only urge you to hang in there and adapt to CPAP. I have never looked back except in gratitude to my first sleep doctor and his insistence that I must adapt to CPAP.

For what it may be worth, I have now been using the Res-Med Activa mask for over ten years, and feel that for me, it is the best choice of masks. There are a confusing number of masks and variations of types, but  I do suggest at least looking at the Activa.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Bad news? Honestly, I considered it to be good news, as it explained a number of things:
"Light" sleeping... particularly when traveling I would wake fully every hour or so
High blood pressure (no meds, no CPAP, I was at 190/115)
Overweight (still a problem but I've stabilized at about 250)
Horrible snoring that would have my neighbors banging on the wall.
And the worst part, waking at night feeling like I was suffocating. Terrifying experience and I went to the ER 3 times for those events. Incidentally, these episodes actually induced claustrophobia. I used to scuba dive in wrecks and caverns... today, I would be too prone to panic to even consider going into an enclosed environment.

My first night of the sleep study was actually a pretty good night. They asked if I wanted to run two additional nights and I agreed.
My 2nd night, I was over the minimum threshold that allowed them to prescribe treatment.
To me, that was good news.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I approached my apnea diagnosis negatively as if avoidance and denial would make apnea go away. Well it didn't. Procrastination time made it worse. Untreated apnea likely cost me a few driving jobs because of constant fatigue. I had trouble staying awake when on the job, then trouble sleeping when it was bed time. It took a long path thru 4 PSG overnights and 3 levels of machines to finally get the right one. Now I can't live or sleep without my ASV machine.

Do what you must to make apnea therapy work well for you. Best wishes that you'll soon be successful. And welcome to Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will jump on the train here - it sounds scary and horrible, but getting on the machine was the best thing i have done in quiet some time.

Before treatment, i was getting to where i would wake several times to use the bathroom. I would be falling asleep on the drive to work, not to mention at my desk. I needed tons of caffeine to get me anywhere. I was forgetful. And i know i have higher BP, though i am not sure how high it really got. The cherry on the cake, was that weight loss was virtually impossible.

I am in only a month and a half, but even on the first night of treatment, i didn't wake up to go (and have not one single time since the machine). I am here now, and i am walking again, i am seeing myself lose weight, and home BP monitoring has seen my pressure dropping (though, i admit i also have white coat syndrome, so...). But more than that.. while i am not a bundle of energy at 4:45, i now safely make it to work every day. I don't fall alseep doing things, and i can actually enjoy playing with my daughter at night. I have drastically cut back on the caffeine, and eating better is also easier now (my body isn't giving me wrong signals as much).

Stick with it, and it will pay its rewards. And its better to treat it now, lest it get worse, and you really have issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! You have just found out how you can extend your life span! Maybe by years. And with that AHI, you were somewhat of a ticking time bomb. No doubt your loved ones will appreciate having you around every extra day. You might even be less irritable and easier to get along with. They might appreciate this even more! So....enjoy the luxury of being able to do something that is great for you health and easier on everyone besides. Keep in mind, there'll also be adjustments by others to your new therapy, but there's that life span thing....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm was that "You might even be less irritable and easier to get along with." thrown at me? I've gotten better in that dept. Even sometimes while on here. HalfAsleep does have a good point though. High AHI can have lots of side effects, all of which the list of those that I'm thinking on aren't good for your health. Especially heart issues. Negative-ish talk over.

Time for the 1ish AM lots-o-coffee Some habits...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2018, 03:16 PM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Result of sleep study put my AHI at 110.  I guess that's pretty bad.

Simultaneous to the study, I was found to have elevated blood pressure. Ironically, subsequent treatment of the BP issue has resulted in much better sleep...only the wife stealing the covers or the dog cough awakens me during the night now.

Dr still insistent on getting a CPAP.

Being claustrophobic, I cannot image sleeping with a mask on...

This really sucks.

Being claustrophic, you should get nasal pillows and learn to keep your mouth closed during the night (not that hard for many, although impossible for some). The Airfit 10 is surprisingly minimal and worked well for many. I really liked this mask, but it doesn't work so well when you have a large head.

I currently use the Swift FX nasal pillows, the predecessor of the Airfit 10.

I too had claustrophobia problems with masks. I was never able to take up diving with my brother and SIL because of it. Just couldn't get used to the masks. Now, when I occasionally need a full mask due to a very bad cold or something, I have less problems with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was my cardiologist who eventually recommended that I get a sleep study. I did this via my GP and it has been the best thing I have done for my health in a long time.

People talk about being tired and fatigued, which did apply to me, but the psychological effects of OSA were even more significant. When I think back to some of the poor decisions that I made, my underlying state of depression and my general lack of tolerance for my fellow human beings I am so glad I am now on this therapy. My first six months were not good but then I discovered this forum and things moved rapidly forward from there.

While I can't say with honesty that I love using my machine, the thought of not using it (as mentioned in another post) is mortifying because I know how I will feel in the morning. I convinced myself that I could adapt by using wearing spectacles as an analogy. They're annoying at times but there is no way I could live without them.

The people here on this forum will be a great source of information and support as you start your PAP journey.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,040 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 263 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 692 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  FYI: PHILLIPS NEWS srlevine1 0 594 10-24-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today slam7241 13 1,235 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [News] Apnea Board News - 2022 SuperSleeper 0 823 06-27-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  My silly question for today. David Clark 9 994 03-30-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: RayBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.