Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Help understand odd features of my sleepyhead data
Question 
Help understand odd features of my sleepyhead data
Hi all!

I was diagnosed with OSA 12 days ago, with an AHI of 24.5, mostly hypopneas, even though I am a pretty skinny guy. It was shocking to discover I have this condition, but also a relief because now I know why I'm tired in the afternoons and can do something about it.

Immediately after diagnosis, I got myself a BiPaP machine and masks out of pocket, and started playing around with the settings and lurking here. I'd like a bit of help in understanding my data, here are my questions (with an attachment after each):

1. About 3 - 4 times an hour, there is a peak on my inhalation graph. Is this normal or should I count this as some sort of 'event' or abnormality. It's just odd that it shows up randomly.

2. During the night, many of my apneas (hypopnea, OA) show up right after strong/uneven breathing, or soon after I go to sleep. Are these events real or just due to me waking up or being awake? Should I remove them from my score? Sometimes they also include a desaturation event and/or increased HR.

3. Related to my previous question, I see ~4 'awakenings' per hour, where my respiration and heart rate increase dramatically for about 60s, then my respiration goes back to normal. These events appear out of the blue and don't seem to be related to sleep apnea. Is it normal to see this many arousals/hour, and to have my heart racing to 85+ bpm?

4. Some of the hypopneas shown by Sleepyhead look like normal breathing variations (to me at least). Can you guys comment? Here's an example:

Thanks for the help! I still have a few more, I will keep posting them Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help understand odd features of my sleepyhead data
I'm new too, so I'm just guessing, I saw nothing I'd overly worry about. a couple of hyperventilation from rapid breathing followed by a lull till the co2 built up. o2 down to 93 and 90%.
a but of flow limit maybe in the other. perhaps a bit more minimum pressure might be needed?

I'd read how to post full charts, instructions are in the signatures of some members. They will appreciate it and respond better.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Here's my post with images:

I was diagnosed with OSA 12 days ago, with an AHI of 24.5, mostly hypopneas, even though I am a pretty skinny guy. It was shocking to discover I have this condition, but also a relief because now I know why I'm tired in the afternoons and can do something about it.

Immediately after diagnosis, I got myself a BiPaP machine and masks out of pocket, and started playing around with the settings and lurking here. I'd like a bit of help in understanding my data, here are my questions (with an attachment after each):

1. About 3 - 4 times an hour, there is a peak on my inhalation graph. Is this normal or should I count this as some sort of 'event' or abnormality. It's just odd that it shows up randomly.
[url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?aid=3387][/url][Image: b8u9cEk.png]

2. During the night, many of my apneas (hypopnea, OA) show up right after strong/uneven breathing, or soon after I go to sleep. Are these events real or just due to me waking up or being awake? Should I remove them from my score? Sometimes they also include a desaturation event and/or increased HR.
[Image: ZP9hyqf.png]

3. Related to my previous question, I see ~4 'awakenings' per hour, where my respiration and heart rate increase dramatically for about 60s, then my respiration goes back to normal. These events appear out of the blue and don't seem to be related to sleep apnea. Is it normal to see this many arousals/hour, and to have my heart racing to 85+ bpm?
[Image: GLeOSIi.png]

4. Some of the hypopneas shown by Sleepyhead look like normal breathing variations (to me at least). Can you guys comment? Here's an example:
[Image: b8u9cEk.png]

Thanks for the help! I still have a few more, I will keep posting them [Image: smile.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything looks normal and most of these events (2 and 3) are related to a brief arousal you probably were not even aware of. If you want to see some crazy breathing, you should see what it looks like when you're awake. Small peaks in flow are a natural increase in inhalation and could be a recovery breath following a period of hypopnea. Hypopnea is not a cessation in breathing but a flow reduction of 30% over at least 10 seconds. In PSG hypopnea includes a desaturation of at least 4% from baseline, which appears to be about what your event 3 had.

What settings did you go with? Your profile just shows CPAP pressure 4. For bipap we usually note pressure as IPAP/EPAP at PS, or for auto bilevel IPAPmax/EPAPmin at PSmin-PSmax.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with you that event #3 fits the definition of hypopnea... it's just odd that it came after a period of labored breathing. Maybe I was awake and 'forgot' to breathe?

I got a BiPaP machine, not because I needed it, but because it was actually cheaper than the APAP. I generally set it to run on APAP mode, with a pressure range of 6 - 25, but still playing with the numbers.

For instance, last night I set it to straight CPAP at 4, and my AHI = 4.6. For me at least, sleeping position is key. I'm also playing with decongestants at night and that seems to help.

I am such a scientist... Testing everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 99zzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 272 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 994 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 254 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 428 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,611 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.