Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study
Video 
Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study
Hi guys been diagnosed since 2019 but didn't get a machine, trialling a resmed airsense 10 autoset and it came in the mail today.

Though after some reading I have come to the conclusion that my apnea isn't actually obstructive, to me these photos show that i am having central apneas, hypopneas and RERA's mostly.

If someone could explain in laymans terms what this means.

Thank you for your time Smile Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study
Welcome to Apnea Board, Central Division.

The numbers that count to me:
Obstructive events ZERO
Hypopnea 31
Mixed 1
Central 10

I would bet that given no Obstructive Apnea, these Hypopnea are Central in nature, at least some. Now there's some obstruction, possible flow limits, as there's snoring.

Some definitions, Obstructive Apnea are where there's a physical blockage of 80-100% strength, typically a collapse of the airway in the throat, lasts 10 or more seconds

Central Apnea, 10 or more seconds, these have no physical obstructions like the first, there's an imbalance of too low CO2, there's a lack of signal to breathe because CO2 is low, why exactly not certain, in some it could be the PAP BUT not this case, you weren't on PAP, so your CA are either pre-existing or idiopathic, unknown medical cause.

Hypopnea, either Central or Obstructive, a partial Apnea, about 50-80% strength

Bottom line you need ASV to treat in my opinion, any other machine plays the "avoid CA Game". In cases of this sort, you'll lose the CA avoid game, consolation prize is poor treatment, poor sleep, high CA, fatigue, probably headaches, and so on. Try to get the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV and we can get you treated.

Also note CA are consistently inconsistent, meaning up and down frequently without setting changes.

I certainly could be wrong and a CPAP might avoid most Central events, so it can be tried. Just be ready to exchange it for ASV if the CA don't play well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hmmm so then that makes me question whether i should be getting my brain and heart scanned Thinking-about Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
wondering the same thing.. what are the next steps once CSA is diagnosed.

Your Spo2 looks pretty good so hopefully something benign
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome In general there is some cause for CA.  Could be stuff like medications, chf, neurological issues and sometimes there no discoverable reason (idiopathic). 

Do you have any medical issues?
On medication?
Any strange symptoms you have noticed? 
Smoke?

In short the sleep clinic should have had you follow up with your regular primary doctor.  At least so you all could make an investigation.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
At the time of the test i was 21, I smoked but have since quit. Was on no medication, i'm now being treated with dexamphetamine for ADHD.

The neurological issue scares me, i had a few pretty bad knocks to the head as a teen. One of them was me being hit by an oncoming express train and knocked unconcious onto the platform Dont-know 

My oscar results last night showed an AHI of only 2.5 for the 3 hours i could bare to wear the mask, all central apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add - I think I woke up mid CA last night. I randomly wasn't breathing, but also wasn't choking. I think that was about the time I pulled that mask off my face and went back to sleep
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,071 3 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 227 6 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 5 66 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 377 7 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 73 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,362 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 78 Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.