Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hi, new here- Question Please
RE: Hi, new here----Question Please
Obstructive Sleep Apnea is a throat thing. The muscles of our throat (the ones we use to swallow and speak) are considered voluntary. Meaning we consciously use them the same as we raise our arm to get our hand up so we can scratch our nose. And just like that arm relaxes, when we go to sleep, the throat muscles relax. Except these muscles (and the tissue covering them) also have air going back and forth over them as we breathe. Sometimes, they start to vibrate in the breeze - that's a snore. That vibration and/or the relaxed state can cause the throat to collapse (the tissue falls back and covers airway) and we stop breathing. Our bodies and brain then try to wake us up so we open the airway on our own and breathe again. Sometimes we simply open our mouths and, depending on our position, that is enough. For a while. If that doesn't happen or doesn't work, then our brain starts to make us twitch. Arms, legs, chest, sometimes we are jerking fairly hard as the body and brain are noticing the lack of oxygen and the build up of CO2.

Normally, folks notice they are tired during the day or that they are quite good at cat napping. Sometimes we don't even know we are doing it because it is habits just like we don't notice how often we scratch our nose during the day. We just do it.

It could be you are tired and showing symptoms but don't realize it. If you use the CPAP, you may find out!

The first thing you need to do is obtain a copy of your sleep study. Don't let them tell you it is umpteen pages long and you'd never understand it. Tell them you want the report version. Then once you get that, you can figure out what kind of events you had, how often, did you twitch, was it positional, etcetera etcetera.

The second thing you need to do is forget about it being hereditary. It's really not. In some ways, it kinda is if it is body type related. Men with thick necks just like their dads. Men and women who, like their parents, have more weight all over vs just around the middle (the fat in the neck area adds weight to those relaxed throat muscles/tissues). But just because no one else in your family has been diagnosed does not rule it out for you. And it is not something we are born with and we can get it at any age. I was in my early 40s. My brother's best friend was in his mid 30s. We had a member come here to ask for advice for his 4yr old.

And the third thing is you need to realize that CPAP treatment is not a cookie cutter. Each of us are different. You take four people with an AHI of 63 and I can almost guarantee that they will all 4 have different pressures, different masks, and different sleep patterns. We are all different in real life, why not in our CPAP treatment?

And fourth, there's a lot of reasons folks don't succeed with CPAP treatment. The most common is, in my opinion, they just gave up. Didn't want to be hassled. Didn't want to be tied down. To them I say Read This. The second most common is mask issues. Sometimes you find the right mask the first time because the person fitting you actually listened to you and selected a mask to fit you and your sleeping style. Then there are those of us who go through a LOT of masks before finding the right one. Each type of mask is different and even each mask within each type can be different. As the supplier (DME) what they mask policy is. How long do you get to try one out before you can turn it in and try another? Most of them have this kind of thing.

Here's some stuff for you to read:
acronyms/abbreviations: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
glossary: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glossary
an idea of what kind of machine to look for: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
mask types: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=CPAP_mask
images of real people using their masks: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Mask_types
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the answers here. I didn't check in for a bit as it turns out we have to do a second test. The first test as it seems was not conducted properly. I slept on my back, as did my husband i think as well during his and never moved over to my side, nor he. I understand they were supposed to wake us up, move us to our side and resume the test but did not so they need us to redo it.

I have to go pick out the equipment this week or next as he wants me to have it first, for the test, although i am not sure why but will pick it out nevertheless.

The odd thing is that the doctor, a Respirologist wasn't really sure he wanted me to bother going ahead with this. I have gained a lot of weight in the past year. I don't need to go into the whys but it is temporary and expect most of it to be off again come spring.
I am not positive but I got the feeling because he believes I will be back to my regular weight of about 120 come spring that perhaps I won't need it but only need it IF i keep up the weight gain that I have had.
Not sure if that is accurate but certainly the impression I got. I felt he wanted to wait until spring to make sure i had lost the weight but I was the one that insisted on moving ahead with it now as I am told its causing problems to my teeth having such dry mouth.
He was pleased that I wanted to move ahead and at which point said fine, ok, lets do it otherwise I believe he would have preferred waiting until the spring to see if the weight was off.

Odd I thought, but then, what do i know? ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Potential Dumb Question Alert:

If one is asleep and suddenly has to wake up and jump to the bathroom to "alleviate oneself" is it hard or time consuming to get out of the mask and then back in?

I ask, because my husband is envious for when I do need to get up quickly and go to the bathroom for a few seconds, I am still groggy while there, enough so that i walk right back to bed, pop ion and am asleep again before my head hits t he pillow.
Insomnia has never been an issue for me so I am curious to know how difficult it is to get back out of these things and then back in.

I am hoping that I don't have to undo a lot of things in the dark that require light but can just unscrew one thing perhaps, wander off, come back, re-screw it on and go back to bed ?

2nd Question:

For some reason I cannot post a link here but wanted to show a mask called the
RESMED QUATTRO AIR For Her

If anyone is familiar with it can you please tell me if you consider this to be a full face mask for if so, it doesn't seem to look too bothersome to me??!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Most masks are designed so you can take them off and put them back on very quickly, only a second or two, without readjusting the straps. Some masks have straps attached to clips that snap into the mask frame. Some that don't have the clips can be easily pulled over your head. I don't have any trouble getting back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
one option is that you can turn the machine off and remove the hose from the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 07:14 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: So how can I have sleep apnea if i sleep like a baby?

(09-21-2013, 08:41 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The first thing you need to do is obtain a copy of your sleep study. Don't let them tell you it is umpteen pages long and you'd never understand it. Tell them you want the report version. Then once you get that, you can figure out what kind of events you had, how often, did you twitch, was it positional, etcetera etcetera.

(11-09-2013, 02:03 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I didn't check in for a bit as it turns out we have to do a second test. The first test as it seems was not conducted properly. I slept on my back, as did my husband i think as well during his and never moved over to my side, nor he. I understand they were supposed to wake us up, move us to our side and resume the test but did not so they need us to redo it.

Hi ShelaghDB,

You may find your OSA is mostly positional. Could be that you have been sleeping primarily on your stomach or side, rarely on your back, and it is only when you are on your back that you have serious OSA.

Do you normally sleep only on your stomach or side?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

A few weeks in I tried a night without the machine, as I had always "slept well" and wasn't convinced it was really needed all the time.  I slept through the night but the following day was an exhausted disaster.  the difference was brought into sharp contrast and I hope to never have another night without the hose.

I'm exactly the same if I go a night without my CPAP machine. Not that I go without using it intentionally but occasionally I've had an unexpected night away from home and CPAP machine.

I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
Finally got the equipment today and I had asked for the Swift RT and ResMed Chin Restraint but they didn't have them on stock at the time so they gave me a full face mask and told me i HAD 30 days in which to switch, which I suspect I shall.

I did get the ResMed Elite S9 Machine though.

I put on the face mask, unhooked up and couldn't understand why anyone would feel claustrophobic. Figured it was going to be a breeze until later when he actually hooked it up to the hose and turned the dial to 3 and with the air coming in, all of a sudden i thought i was going to hyperventilate it was coming at me so fast.
I understand it will normally progress over a 20 minute session and I am hoping by doing so slowly, i won't feel as overwhelmed by the pressure of the air coming at me.

Tonight will be the first night.

The hubbie did not get his for when we got there, it was discovered that the doctor had not actually written in on the prescription, the pressure amount he needed and he won't be back until Dec 11th, so I am tonights first guinea pig ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
too bad they didn't give you an S9 autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that is sad your husband didn't get his machine. The DME dropped the ball (as well as the doc's office) because they didn't check out the script ahead of time. Didn't they have his sleep study with the recommended pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,447 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.