Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hi, new here- Question Please
RE: Hi, new here----Question Please
Thanks for all your help and i do apologize ahead of time for the very long posts ;-)

me50: No as it turned out the Doctor did not write the pressure number down by mistake and that day he was away on vacation and won't be back until tomorrow. I suspect we will pop back up there on Saturday and get his for him. In fact, I had wanted to go with a different mask and chin restraints as some others had mentioned here but they only brought this one style of unit in. I suspect its the most expensive and they are pushing it for that reason. In my case i have 30 days to switch it so I MUST start tonight so I can use it for ¾ nights and if I can't get used to it I will switch it for what others here suggested. Hopefully if i am doing that we will pick p his machine the same day, when the doctor writes it in properly for them.

Ok, I have been putting it off until now but tonight is D-Night ;-(

Someone asked if it could be positional with me?
Possible?
As I always slept on my sides and only recently have been sleeping on my back.
This is why they are re-doing the sleep study in the next 3 weeks. The first time apparently they were supposed to wake us up during the night and force us on to our side but didn't and we both stayed on our backs all night. They don't feel it was a fair study. We were in hospital beds where the head and bottom of the bed can be raised so I had them both raised but primarily the feet as its good to sleep with your feet elevated but in retrospect, its not how I sleep naturally and i should not have done so that night for there isn't any way I would flip over in that position anyhow.

In my case, I developed bi-positional vertigo 4 years ago so I cannot lay on my right side with my head turned to my right ( down) as it will set it off so that was about when I begs to naturally stay on my back.

Secondly. I am 54 but up until 4 years ago I had the body of a 20 year old, flat tummy, etc. never having had children and weight about 120 an ideal weight for my size.
Due to some medication I was put on, I developed an insatiable craving for sweets and at the same time stopped walking and began to ride a scooter everywhere. The combined effect, had me gain about 50 pounds which is a hell of a lot of weight for me. I'm just now off the medication as it was temporary, well, as in a couple of years but no longer needed and now its just time for me to start walking daily again, and dropping the weight without the high sugar intake daily and my weight will drop back to its normal state. Who knows? Perhaps I will gain an extra 5-10 pounds but my body could deal with it if it did, or at least how it was 4 years ago.
The sleep doctor seemed to feel that because this weight gain is, as he hopes, temporary, that I didn't need the machine but i pushed for it so we went ahead.

One other thing I have noticed and i don't know if any of you are the same.............I have noticed over the years that as i am sitting at the computer, or watching TV, reading a book and I will suddenly notice, although i am fully awake, that i have stopped breathing for a few seconds. Almost as if one does by holding their breath for a moment if they are watching a scary movie and that part is the part that scares them at that moment, well, often people hold their breath for a moment until that scene moves forward.
In my case, i don't know why I do it but have always done so, even when thinner, years earlier etc so MAYBE this is part of it or a tendency towards this happening when I sleep.....wonder if any of you also do this or whether its just normal to do so anyhow??!!

Ok LAST BUT NOT LEAST.
My machine is the RESMED S9 Series. I think he said the best in the line at the moment.

I have plugged it in, getting it ready for tonight. The SD card was already in.
I have filled it with water.
Before I go to bed do i just press the START button and it will automatically work for me?
I know he told me when I picked it up but it all seems to have left me.
I assume he set it to fit the prescription number its supposed to be at, correct?

So aside from putting on the hose and the mask, there isn't anything else i need to do is there???
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 05:35 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Ok LAST BUT NOT LEAST.
My machine is the RESMED S9 Series. I think he said the best in the line at the moment.
Next to on/off button printed the model name
AutoSet and Elite models are data capable machines, Escape models are not

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you...I could have sworn he had said it was an ELITE but it says ESCAPE so I gather its not the best one as he said to me ? ;-)
Not that it really matters but i just don't like being lied too....if in case he did.

In any event, what does it mean by Data capable machines?

It does have an SD card in it
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 09:08 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Thank you...I could have sworn he had said it was an ELITE but it says ESCAPE so I gather its not the best one as he said to me ? ;-)
Not that it really matters but i just don't like being lied too....if in case he did.

OMG!! I would call the DME and tell them you do NOT want an Escape! All you can get from this is compliance data meaning how often you use the machine and for how many hours. That is it. You cannot see how many events you have, leaks, what kind of events you have, etc.

As far as being the best machine, it is only the best for the DME as they get paid the same for Escape as they do for Elite or Autoset from the insurance company and they make more money giving you the Escape. So, they are NOT looking out for your best interest but they are looking out for their best interest which is how much money they can make on giving you a low end machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry not sure what anything means as i am new to this. Whats a DME?

Curious to know if others feel the same way as well? If anyone can chime in?
I ask only because i hate to make a fuss about it and return it if i can on one persons opinion if others are going to chime in and say they disagree.
If several people agree, than I will be convinced I have a crappy machine and will tell them I want another one.
Hope you understand that taking it back is a bit hassle unless a few others also says I should do so..... ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
DME is who provided the machine and should supply all that you need to use it (mask, filters, hose, water chamber, headgear, etc.)
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+S9+Escape
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 09:08 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Thank you...I could have sworn he had said it was an ELITE but it says ESCAPE so I gather its not the best one as he said to me ? ;-)

It does have an SD card in it
What me50 said. All S9 machines comes with an SD card but the card only stores what the machine record. In the case of the Escape model, the only data the machine records is how many hours using the machine each night, you don,t need an SD card to tell you that

Data capable machine mean the machine reports efficacy data which is most important for you and your doctor to see how the therapy is working and if any adjustment is needed otherwise got nothing to go on other than how you feel
Beside efficacy data, the Escape model is only an S9 lookalike, does not have the other features available on AutoSet and Elite models such as:
Mask fit feature
Efficacy data (AHI, leak, AI, HI, CAI)
Detailed data (graphs)
Central apnea detection (enhanced algorthim)
See for yourself, check specifications http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
ShelaghDB, if you can get it changed, do so, the best in the range is the Autoset, at worst go for the Elite. Down the track you may want to take a lot of this therapy into your own hands, if so you will need a data capable machine. The Autoset will be more comfortable for you as well as you don't have constant pressure all the time, try to get it changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, reading further I now see why you said that. I read a thread which led me to understand that you can upload data to the machines and take care of it yourself, if i am correct so now I know this, I will do as you have suggested and ask for a different machine, one of the other two.

Please don't take offence to what i first said, wanting to know if others felt the same way as i don't know anything about these machines at all and am only looking into them now as i am starting it........but I can see why you said what you did and it makes perfect sense. Thanks ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,450 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.