Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hi, new here- Question Please
RE: Hi, new here- Question Please
well, my chin strap works.

"Snoring is a sound that occurs in the upper airway as you breathe in air. ... to vibrate, generating the noise, which comes out of your nose, mouth or both"

snoring is from both nose and mouth so that comment is pretty ______________. You all can fill in the blank.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 07:14 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: BUT another thing this doctor I don't like told me, was that chin straps do not work.
He said, have you ever tried snoring with your mouth closed? You can't! Its impossible.

Admittedly I am still wondering why that proves that a chin strap does not work! ;-)

Yup. Silly me, I can't recall ever even "trying" to snore...

Post Reply Post Reply
LOL

And you wonder why I don't like this doctor ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi, new here----Question Please
(09-21-2013, 01:40 PM)bwexler Wrote: If you spent a couple nights sleeping with every person you know, you might discover some of them use CPAP. It is not a general topic of conversation outside of boards like this one.
As you have just discovered many people go undisguised.
The reason one might wake up dead, if you stop breathing and fail to wake up timely (sound sleeper) your blood oxygen level may drop to the level to render you unconsious and unable to wake up to restart your breathing cycle. I am sure someone could provide a more accurate explanation, like Doc Wills.
Also atrial fibrillation seems to go hand in hand with OSA. Untreated afib can cause strokes, in which case may prefer death to survival.

So when people die this way, what are they diagnosed as having died of?
When I hear of people having just passed away in their sleep, is this what has happened?

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Do most people buy a back up battery in case of power outages? I had a brief power outage a couple of nights ago -- I woke up and the machine was off, of course. But the power came back on in a minute or two, which is typical, but I do wonder what I would do if it lasted a few hours. Any suggestions for a back up battery that isn't too expensive?

Funnily enough I just read that quote above, in another thread on this forum, in Success stories but it made me laugh. I just started my CPAP therapy in a half assed manner as I am waiting to go to the DE I think you call them, this week to change masks.
The one I have unfortunately is leaking too much and it keeps waking me up so I just haven't really got into the swing of this CPAP stuff yet.

But, the other night, the last night i wore the mask I presently have, I found myself, for the first time feeling anxious while wearing it and I wasn't sure if what i was feeling was claustrophobia or not but all I could think about was what wold happen if the power went off, would i be able to get enough air in to breathe if it weren't pushing in oxygen? Technically of course i knew that i would but I still wasn't convinced and took it off and refused to sleep with it on that night, telling myself it was pointless anyhow, because of the leaks. Hence, just waiting for the appointment this week.

But this leads me to my only concern and that is, losing interest in this therapy if i spend endless months being fitted for one mask or another and none work.
As mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, since i am a mouth breather I am best off with FF and the second sleep study I did recently tried every single FF mask they had on store there and each one leaked. The first one she choose didn't for the first 4 hours but once it started, it wouldn't stop so i am going to try my FF mask one last time tonight and if it does it again, my next hope i think is to try Nasal Pillows, as someone recommended early in this thread, on the 1st or 2nd page, as well as a chin restraint strap.

So looking at masks, I see nasal pillows with a strap OR nasal masks. Any idea what the difference might be? I can see the difference in the design but I mean the differences in why one would wear pillows and another the nasal mask?
Can you wear a nasal mask with a chin strap or not? If you need the chin strap is it just an automatic decision to go with the nasal pillows?

I realize that the FF would be the best option but since there are too many face leaks, does anyone suffer leaks with nasal pillows or nasal masks?

Sorry to ask so many questions but the doctor and the DE seem better suited at filling out papers.
Its only just now I realized that I didn't have to set my machine for pressure and that the DE must have done it when i took home the machine so all I have to concern myself with is changing humidity level and time for it to start up after I put on my mask, and thats all...nothing was explained to me so its just by reading here that i am grasping it all......and the first while i was posting but I really didnt have any sort of feel for what i had been handed.........
Sorry, another question.......I keep seeing people saying that on CPAP they no longer wake up for washroom breaks?

Um, is it normal to sleep right through the night without waking up at least once?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:12 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Sorry, another question.......I keep seeing people saying that on CPAP they no longer wake up for washroom breaks?

Um, is it normal to sleep right through the night without waking up at least once?

I slept through the whole night last night.

I did not start waking up during the night until about 10-15 years ago. I sleep through the night a lot more now than I did prior to CPAP. Of course, I expect that everybody's sleep patterns are different so some still wake while on CPAP, but many do not.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks. I normally sleep right though the night myself
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:31 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Of course, I expect that everybody's sleep patterns are different so some still wake while on CPAP, but many do not.

PaytonA
I,m one of those who wake up at least once during the night and most of times don,t go back to sleep straight away
Usually, nice cup of tea while reading the forum before go back to bed for some more sleep
Not sleep hygiene text book but I,m okay with that Coffee (tea not coffee)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:12 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Do most people buy a back up battery in case of power outages? I had a brief power outage a couple of nights ago -- I woke up and the machine was off, of course. But the power came back on in a minute or two, which is typical, but I do wonder what I would do if it lasted a few hours. Any suggestions for a back up battery that isn't too expensive?
I have a Sears DieHard in a portable "jump start" frame with both DC outlets and AC outlets that use an internal converter. Whether such a set up will work depends on the particular PAP machine you are using. The Philips Respironics can run directly off DC power if you buy a DC cord for them (about $30 US, if I recall). The Resmeds are pickier and need a converter to AC power and the converter has to output a pure sine curve (or some such thing).

Quote:But, the other night, the last night i wore the mask I presently have, I found myself, for the first time feeling anxious while wearing it and I wasn't sure if what i was feeling was claustrophobia or not but all I could think about was what wold happen if the power went off, would i be able to get enough air in to breathe if it weren't pushing in oxygen? Technically of course i knew that i would but I still wasn't convinced and took it off and refused to sleep with it on that night, telling myself it was pointless anyhow, because of the leaks. Hence, just waiting for the appointment this week.
The full-face mask you are using has an anti-asphyxiation valve that pops open the instant power to the machine is cut. That allows you to breath enough room air through the mask so that you aren't in any serious danger.

Nasal masks and nasal pillows masks don't have such a valve because they are not needed: If the brain detects no air coming in through the mask, the brain orders the mouth to open up and you breath through the open mouth until you wake up.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:12 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: So looking at masks, I see nasal pillows with a strap OR nasal masks. Any idea what the difference might be? I can see the difference in the design but I mean the differences in why one would wear pillows and another the nasal mask?
Personal choice, mainly.

Some of us can't stand anything covering our nose. (In my case, covering the nose triggers an insane amount of itching and sneezing---just because I can't reach the top side of the nose to scratch it.)

Others can't stand anything touching their nostrils.

If you can't stand something covering the nose, nasal pillows are a better choice. If you can't stand something touching your nostrils, a nasal mask is a better choice.

Quote:Can you wear a nasal mask with a chin strap or not? If you need the chin strap is it just an automatic decision to go with the nasal pillows?
Yes, you can wear a chin strap with a nasal mask.

No, chin straps are NOT required for nasal pillows masks---provided you mainly breathe through your nose. I've been using nasal pillows masks for over 3 1/2 years without a chinstrap. But I'm also not a mouth breather.

Quote:I realize that the FF would be the best option but since there are too many face leaks, does anyone suffer leaks with nasal pillows or nasal masks?
It is possible for any mask to leak.

But nasal masks and nasal pillows masks are typically easier to seal simply because the mask is smaller. However, the biggest leak problem some people have with both nasal masks and nasal pillows masks are mouth leaks. If you open your mouth wide and breathe through your mouth while using a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask, the pressurized air will flow in through the nose and out through the mouth and not provide much in the way of effective pressure in the upper airway.

But some people are mouth breathers out of habit, rather than necessity. And some people find that with CPAP, they don't do anywhere near as much mouth breathing at night as they did pre-CPAP. Still, the only way to tell is to have a machine that records full efficacy data, including leak data, and to look at the leak lines every day for a while to see just how often you have significant mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,424 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.