Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] High AHI (16) and wake several times
High AHI (16) and wake several times
After CPAP for 16 days, I feel so much better than before. The problems: AHI is 16 (was 45 in home sleep study) and I wake multiple times a night. I don't feel as good as I did the first night when AHI was 8. Part of the graph is me lying awake and breathing normally after waking up several times - I didn’t stop the CPAP most of the time.

In this first month trial, should the DME make any changes? Should I wait 30 days? I don’t have a sleep doctor.
I am posting the overview, statistics, and first and latest daily (closeup of latest daily)

[Image: screenshot-20180421-080400_zpsanxsmg6g.png]

[Image: screenshot-20180421-080328_zpsbrzlwnjw.png]

First night

[Image: screenshot-20180421-102628_zpsbchfgzd0.png]
Last night
[Image: screenshot-20180421-080219_zpspj4o1vsf.png]
[Image: screenshot-20180421-080307_zpswnoz6xca.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI (16) and wake several times
Your events are primarily obstructive and the Philips Dreamstation is very slow to respond to obstruction when the minimum pressure is too low. In your case our correct minimum pressure is about 9.0 cm, so your machine is taking a long time to get where it needs to be while you suffer obstructive apnea, then drops pressure below your therapeutic need and you have hypopnea.

In addition to pressure, your obstructive events seem to occur in strong clusters which suggest a positional component. May forum users have resolved this problem and ended up with lower pressures by using a soft cervical collar. The collar is fitted to be comfortable, while it provides support to keep the neck and head aligned preventing obstruction of the airway. If you sit in a chair and let your chin droop towards your chest, you may feel your airway become increasingly restricted as your chin drops. The same thing can happen at night when your head is propped on a pillow or you just turn in a way that your airway is occluded. Most people find the soft cervical collar comfortable and very effective, and I think you probably need to give it a try.

Between an increase in your minimum pressure to 9.0 and the use of positional therapy, I think you will see a dramatic reduction in AHI and get more comfortable restorative sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. I'll get that cervical collar ASAP and change the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
That last zoomed in chart is interesting. You can see the machine responding to the obstructive events and increasing pressure up to about 11 cm. Then for reasons I don't understand the machine reduces pressure to 9 cm but the obstructive events keep coming. By my count about 17 more events and no response from the machine. Strange!

Increasing the minimum pressure to 9 cm is a good start. But based on that chart it probably will have to go higher still. See what you get with 9 cm and post again.

Edit:
I noticed that you said you were in a 1 month trial at the DME. Does that mean you may have the opportunity to change machines? If so you should ask to try a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her. I think it could respond better to your apnea events than the Dreamstation is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will ask about that Monday. I'll be posting tomorrow on the first night of min 9 pressure. Cervical color on the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
When the machine sees CA events it backs off the pressure. I also agree with sleeprider about the collar. Your pressure at 9cm should be more than enough after you start using the collar.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2018, 05:22 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: When the machine sees CA events it backs off the pressure. I also agree with sleeprider about the collar. Your pressure at 9cm should be more than enough after you start using the collar.

The last CA event I can see in that string was when the pressure was still ramping up. Once it got to 11 cm and while it sat there a bit, there were no more CA events, only OA, and then it decides to ramp back down to 9 cm?? I would not be happy with a machine that acts like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m going to see if I can get a ResMed as suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since this is a trial, it's fortunate if you can change. The Resmed is much more responsive to these events, even when not fully optimized. It also can achieve control of hypopnea at lower pressures due to the way exhale pressure relief is implemented. By all means if you can get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machine, that is your better option. Avoid a fixed pressure CPAP machine and get the Auto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the first night with 9 minimum pressure. It took a long time to get to sleep. I woke up a couple times. Is this something the ResMed CPAP would help?
[Image: screenshot-20180422-055801_zpsxbfwwk5o.png]
[Image: screenshot-20180422-055917_zpsvoaei659.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 4 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.